Question on PIAA 520's | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question on PIAA 520's

Hey Matt,
Now that my winch guard is on I was wondering. since the 520's that I have are set up with the light post on the bottom, and I need to have them on the top, can I turn the lenses 180 degrees in the housing, so that the PIAA name still is in the up right postion in order to keep the beam spread in the correct way? I guess I could try it, but I'm at work now and just thought about.
Ray Lobato and his truck Reno Dead Link RemovedDead Link Removed
Sometimes I just crack myself up.Dead Link Removed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the 520's can either be flipped 180 degrees or not it'll react about the same way, because the spread on the lens goes OUT not up or down. YOU CAN NOT rotate them 90 degrees. 180 degrees is fine though. I have mine upside down so PIAA is upside down, haven't got around to fixing it yet... still deciding if I'm going to swap you fog for driving :).

ok I may stand corrected on this... I'm going to get some official confirmation here... it was pointed out by Ray that the lens should have the name PIAA correct-side up to maintain the watertightness of the lamp. I'm not sure, but I've had em submerged in mud and they still work like a champ. Don't fret though, I'm gonna find out from the source itself :).

Ray, still waiting for this answer, there doing inventory so there swamped... BUT if you would like the nickname of Reno for your Explorer, I'd be happy to "bestow" it on you, LOL

Matt,
I took a look at the 520's yesterday and they do have a small hole for drainage on the bottom of the inside part of the lense, which means that the PIAA letters need to be read right side up.

it's not often that I am caught wrong on a PIAA issue... but I stand corrected :).

heres the official response Ray... from PIAA...
"All of our lamps 'must' have PIAA reading rightside up for them to ventilate properly. The only lamps that you can't just flip the lens over is our 912 stealth(can only be mounted hanging down), 910's & 959's(have to purchase the right type of mount) and our 80 racing series, which can only be mounted upright. Plus, it looks better."

So, you were right... :)

Back