• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Question on steering recall

SHUMAX

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Explorer Sport
My EX is new to me, but I know that it had the steering wheel recall performed. In talking to my dealer, they looked at the system and said the computer was updated and they replaced a steering gear. I didn't ask any additional questions, but am curious what that "gear" might be. Anyone familiar with the recall that might know?

Thanks!
Shumax

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Recall was to update the programming if there were no CEL codes set. If there were codes set from a failure, the entire steering rack gets replaced (what your steering wheel connects too).

SHUMAX

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Explorer Sport
Thanks. I am trying to determine what the steering "gear" would be in this mix. If you look the part up by that name on RockAuto, it is the entire assembly. To me, it would be one gear. Perhaps I am missing something here?

Shumax

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Thanks. I am trying to determine what the steering "gear" would be in this mix. If you look the part up by that name on RockAuto, it is the entire assembly. To me, it would be one gear. Perhaps I am missing something here?

Shumax

Just different terminology but the same thing. Don't think of it like gears in a transmission. But the steering rack does turn with the wheel and there is a pivot point between the steering wheel and the front axle. My assumption is that they are calling it a gear because of the pivot point that spins.

But again, just different terminology for the same part.

SHUMAX

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Explorer Sport
So, it sounds like the steering rack was replaced then, correct?

dco43054

Reaction score
City, State
cmh
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 XLT
So, it sounds like the steering rack was replaced then, correct?
While it sounds like it, if you are not sure, why not ask the dealer? They are then ones that will know.

SHUMAX

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Explorer Sport
While it sounds like it, if you are not sure, why not ask the dealer? They are then ones that will know.

Because they are closed until Monday. :)

Halwg

Reaction score
City, State
WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Base 2.3L E
Because they are closed until Monday. :)

You aren't going to find out anything here. Nobody but the dealer knows what was replaced. You should have asked them when you got the vehicle.

DeepBlueSC

Reaction score
City, State
Broadview Heights, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
Steering gear is technician/industry speak for the steering rack. Not sure why that was so hard to figure out or even why it's such a burning, gotta know right now issue.

dragonexplorer12

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer LTD
Its the steering rack and pinion. It is electronically assisted and mine has been faulty twice. First replacement was a year ago then second time is this year after only 16k kms from 1st replacement.

Telltale signs include sluggish steering then grinding noise when turning wheel left to right and vice versa. Last to show is thw popping noise when turning left or right during low speed especially when coming in or out of parking.

To replace would cost $2000 there in the US. Here is the Philippines, it will cost me $5000+ so im fighting this issue to claim warranty because same shit occured after 16k kms? I have only 48k kms total to date.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Its the steering rack and pinion. It is electronically assisted and mine has been faulty twice. First replacement was a year ago then second time is this year after only 16k kms from 1st replacement.

Telltale signs include sluggish steering then grinding noise when turning wheel left to right and vice versa. Last to show is thw popping noise when turning left or right during low speed especially when coming in or out of parking.

To replace would cost $2000 there in the US. Here is the Philippines, it will cost me $5000+ so im fighting this issue to claim warranty because same shit occured after 16k kms? I have only 48k kms total to date.
Most genuine Ford parts are warrantied (parts & labour) for 2 years, unlimited mileage.

Peter