• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Question: polish and wax that won't stain plastic/vinyl

Runamuk13

Reaction score
City, State
Tacoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
How do you polish and wax your Explorer without making a mess of the plastic trim?

Is there an line of off-the-shelf products for detailing the exterior paint that does not stain the plastic? I need some minor swirl removal, polish and wax.

There is a lot of plastic/vinyl parts on Explorers. Around the wheel wells, both bumpers, the rocker panels under the doors and more. When I'm detailing a car, it's impossible for me to keep the polish and wax splatter off these parts. It seems that most polish and wax products will stain the plastic with a white color that is very difficult to remove (I've heard a pencil eraser works).

One option would be to mask off the vinyl, but that's a lot of work plus it's not terribly practical because there are small vinyl parts just about everywhere.

What products and/or techniques do you use & recommend?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

JamesGraham

Reaction score
City, State
San Francisco, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Explorer Sport Trac
How do you polish and wax your Explorer without making a mess of the plastic trim?

Is there an line of off-the-shelf products for detailing the exterior paint that does not stain the plastic? I need some minor swirl removal, polish and wax.

There is a lot of plastic/vinyl parts on Explorers. Around the wheel wells, both bumpers, the rocker panels under the doors and more. When I'm detailing a car, it's impossible for me to keep the polish and wax splatter off these parts. It seems that most polish and wax products will stain the plastic with a white color that is very difficult to remove (I've heard a pencil eraser works).

One option would be to mask off the vinyl, but that's a lot of work plus it's not terribly practical because there are small vinyl parts just about everywhere.

What products and/or techniques do you use & recommend?

Thanks
I think there is no polish that does not make a mess of the plastic trim. Surely, it is just masking the plastic trim or just apply plastic trim protector before you polish. Gtechniq brand has a trim protector that works wonders. So either you mask or apply trim protector. With wax, there's hybrid ceramic spray wax that is safe on plastic trims. So your only options are the spray wax coatings and not the traditional carnauba wax paste that you manually apply.

donalds

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 ford explorer sohc
On my 99 when I got it all the black plastic was stained white
I used a Mr clean magic eraser on the plastic only Only dull plastic

It's what works for me

akjvt

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer - Platinum
Check Out Top Coat. Safe for all surfaces, leaves no white residue.
Works great on our black Explorer and Lincoln Navigator.

2017 Ford Explorer w installed accexxories 111019.jpg

akjvt

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer - Platinum
I initially felt the same way, but gave it a try. It only takes about 1.5-2 ounces to do a complete detail on either of our suvs or about $1.75--2.50/application, with superior results.

I highly recommend giving Top Coat F-11 a try yourself.
IMG_0140.jpg

RickOTR

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Sport 4X4
I use 303Mecum wax. Just spray it on after you wash and rinse the car but don't dry it. Looks like you spent all day waxing it. I like Rejex as a sealer.