Question: polish and wax that won't stain plastic/vinyl | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question: polish and wax that won't stain plastic/vinyl

How do you polish and wax your Explorer without making a mess of the plastic trim?

Is there an line of off-the-shelf products for detailing the exterior paint that does not stain the plastic? I need some minor swirl removal, polish and wax.

There is a lot of plastic/vinyl parts on Explorers. Around the wheel wells, both bumpers, the rocker panels under the doors and more. When I'm detailing a car, it's impossible for me to keep the polish and wax splatter off these parts. It seems that most polish and wax products will stain the plastic with a white color that is very difficult to remove (I've heard a pencil eraser works).

One option would be to mask off the vinyl, but that's a lot of work plus it's not terribly practical because there are small vinyl parts just about everywhere.

What products and/or techniques do you use & recommend?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On my 99 when I got it all the black plastic was stained white
I used a Mr clean magic eraser on the plastic only Only dull plastic

It's what works for me

Check Out Top Coat. Safe for all surfaces, leaves no white residue.
Works great on our black Explorer and Lincoln Navigator.

2017 Ford Explorer w installed accexxories 111019.jpg

^^^^$$$$

I initially felt the same way, but gave it a try. It only takes about 1.5-2 ounces to do a complete detail on either of our suvs or about $1.75--2.50/application, with superior results.

I highly recommend giving Top Coat F-11 a try yourself.
IMG_0140.jpg

I use 303Mecum wax. Just spray it on after you wash and rinse the car but don't dry it. Looks like you spent all day waxing it. I like Rejex as a sealer.

Turtle wax ICE liquid wax has been good to me. It works just like regular wax on the painted surfaces and darkens up plastic trim without staining.

Back