Question regarding bouncy ride on a '99 EB | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question regarding bouncy ride on a '99 EB

Cobra Jack

Reaction score
City, State
Tinley Park, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Explr 03 Cobra 07 335
I just purchased a '99 Eddie Bauer 5.0 Explorer AWD

my question concerns to the ride quality...

it's extremely bouncy at any speed over 40mph... it's almost unbearable.

What would be the cause? shocks?

Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you saying that it gets bouncy on smooth pavement or it just dont handle bumps well?

I remember the first time i hit a dip while going about 40. I actually was thrown up in the air and off my seat.

Garth said:
Are you saying that it gets bouncy on smooth pavement or it just dont handle bumps well?

I remember the first time i hit a dip while going about 40. I actually was thrown up in the air and off my seat.

on bumps in the road and uneven pavement

during a 45 min highwaty trip going 70mph, I almost had to pull over due to motion sickness

How old are the shocks?

A good set of aftermarket shocks will do wonders. I use the Rancho 9000 x shocks; I like the adjust ability that it offers me. I can tailor the ride to my liking based on road conditions or the load I have in the truck.

Good luck. Remember a bouncy ride is not only uncomfortable but also potentially dangerous.

I imagine the shocks are original.

it's a '99 EB 5.0 AWD with 72K miles

How do I know if I auto suspension?

meaning the more expensive shocks

I changed my shocks at 62K miles and the change in ride was very dramatic. I used Gabriel MaxControls, they work great for only $49 apiece. Ranchos are great, but are a bit more expensive.

Sound like you need new shocks. I have 76,ooo on my 98 but after the first bounce the truck would always settle down.

aldive said:
How old are the shocks?

A good set of aftermarket shocks will do wonders. I use the Rancho 9000 x shocks; I like the adjust ability that it offers me. I can tailor the ride to my liking based on road conditions or the load I have in the truck.

Good luck. Remember a bouncy ride is not only uncomfortable but also potentially dangerous.

Aldive - How hard / easy is it to adjust them? Is it feasable to adjust them on driving mood or only when you are doing a task (racing, hauling, towing, etc.)? I thought the Rancho 9000s were too expensive but after having noise problems with my Gabriel Ultras (VSTs) I'm wondering if I should upgrade.

spta97 said:
Aldive - How hard / easy is it to adjust them? Is it feasable to adjust them on driving mood or only when you are doing a task (racing, hauling, towing, etc.)? I thought the Rancho 9000s were too expensive but after having noise problems with my Gabriel Ultras (VSTs) I'm wondering if I should upgrade.

You can purchase an in cabin control/adjuster unit, however, I simple reach under the truck and twist the adjuster to the desired position.

I do not know if the in cabin adjuster allows on the fly adjustments or not.

I am very happy with the shocks; money well spent in my opinion.

Cobra Jack said:
...How do I know if I auto suspension?... expensive shocks

Does your radio bezel have a normal/offroad switch on the top left corner?
Don

Back