Question regarding fuel Injector cleaning. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question regarding fuel Injector cleaning.

apollo607

Reaction score
City, State
Queretaro, Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer '98 XLT 4WD
Hello Everybody:

Congratulations for your forum. I have learned a lot through your threads here. I own a XLT V6 4x4, stock.

In the near future we are about to do the TT/shackles thing with a 3" body lifth, and put some 33" on her, but that will be matter for another thread.

I have a question regarding fuel injectors cleaning.

Here in Mexico is very popular to clean fuel injectors by a pressurized device, similar to the shown on this link http://www.otctools.com/products/fuel_injection_cleaner , it uses some fuel inyector cleaning concentrate that shouldn't be pour directly into the tank.

I would like to know if somebody has experience on this kind of cleaning, or if if has some advantage or disavantage vs. sea foam and the fuel inyector cleaners on the tank. Less popular but also used here is the ultrasonic cleaning but it need to take the injectors off with a device similar to the next link http://www.sharpertek.com/sharpertek-ultrasonic-cleaner-model-sh150-6l.html What could be the best option?

Regards

A. Lugo

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the under the hood section. I have experience with the pressurized cans of fuel injector cleaner. You don't need a compressor to use them. You have to disconnect the power going into the fuel pump, and allow the pressure of the injector cleaner to run the vehicle while it's at idle. The vehicle will use injector cleaner like it's running on gasoline.

ok. But is it better than sea foam and fuel inyector cleaners in the tank?

Thanks.

I've used the Ford injector cleaner stuff you put in the can and use a compressor to give it pressure. You run the vehicle off that can (turn off the fuel first)..

That seems to work tons better than the stuff you put in the tank. Its nasty stuff and much stronger than anything you could throw in the tank.

~Mark

The type of cleaner you are referring to is the best way to properly clean fuel injectors while still on the vehicle. Any other form uses a seriously diluted product that does very little in the way of cleaning (its more of a periodic maintenance thing, not a repair for dirty injectors).

This is what my neighbor now uses. . From what I understand, its just like the compressed can, or air compressor method, but using a better machine.

original_motorvac.jpg

~Mark

I would be curious to know what is in that stuff. I cannot imagine that it is too good for your catalytic converters. Of course compared to the junk fuel they are selling these days it's probably no different.

Has anyone here used B-12 in the tank?

I have used a can of B-12 chemtool in the tank and let it run through the fuel system and have noticed the engine getting smoother and better...I especially noticed the startup was much better since I had a slight miss for the first 5-10 secs then the engine would run evenly and I didn't have a spare set of injectors nor the time to pull them and send them out for cleaning...

This is what my neighbor now uses. . From what I understand, its just like the compressed can, or air compressor method, but using a better machine.

original_motorvac.jpg

~Mark

The Motorvac maching is the top of the line when it comes to on the car fuel system flushing.

As for the chemical make up. I have no idea what it is but it is extreemly potent. All of the major brands I've seen are O2 and cat safe, so there is no worries there.

So what does something like that run?

To have someone use the motorvac machine, its $50-$100.. to buy one.. its upwards of $1000 or more depending on what model.

~Mark

The kit without the compressor was around $45 when I bought it many years ago. The cans of cleaner are around $18-$25.

well that's reasonable, certainly better than 1000

I think the cleaners added to the tank are just a part of the regular maintenance, and the cleaning with the motorvac and presurised devices are part of a mayor maintenance or for a larger period. And the ultrasonic cleaning, that is used with the injectors off the car, is in case we suspect of a specific issue related to the injector function. I heard that there are some specific shops that cleans the injectors with the ultrasonic tube, but also they check the flow amount and flow pattern in order to confirm that they function ok.

Back