• Register Today It's free!

question regarding hensen tune?

JawzSS

Reaction score
City, State
Delaware
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Mountaineer
I have noticed that Hensen seems to be the way to go regarding tuning explorers and mountaineers. I have an 04 4.6 mounty that I have been looking to get tuned. Just a little confused on the tuning process. With my previous vehicles they were dyno tuned so im not very familiar with the process for the hensen tune.

Do you send them your oem ECU for them to tune? or is it a module that plugs into the obd? Before I do this I am going to get an intake and most likely magnaflow catback...just was seeking some further info and experiences. Is it worth it? cost?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You must purchase a SCT X3 tuner, which can also be bought from Hensen.

I have noticed that Hensen seems to be the way to go regarding tuning explorers and mountaineers. I have an 04 4.6 mounty that I have been looking to get tuned. Just a little confused on the tuning process. With my previous vehicles they were dyno tuned so im not very familiar with the process for the hensen tune.

Do you send them your oem ECU for them to tune? or is it a module that plugs into the obd? Before I do this I am going to get an intake and most likely magnaflow catback...just was seeking some further info and experiences. Is it worth it? cost?

The tunes are good... They will bring your truck out... I'm mot sure how to put it... You will notice a little perkiness.. You'll get Better throtle response, spark timing, i think air/fuel mix... Some other settings... Ah shift points...

I don't think tunes add a lot more power(may be 5-10 hp/ftlb) but the deal is how they massage the engine to apply that power....

Since you r gettin a cat, get also an air intake... Better air flow...

When i bought my xcal2, i sent my ecu code (can be found in the frame of the passanger's door) i think is like 4 or 5 characters long(# & letters).... They asked me what i was looking to get with the tunes and what mods i had in my truck... According to this, they created 3 tunes (87 street, 89 torque and 93 performance) and then emiled them to me... There was a software (livewire if i remember correctly..) they sent me to install in my pc to allow uploading (via usb) of the tunes to the tuner, then you plug in the tuner to the odb port and follow the instructions on the screen...

Good luck

so when ordering would I get the SF3 Powerflash module? for 04 and up explorers?

from:http://www.hensonperformance.com/Productsftel.html ... do you have to order the tuner from hensen? or can you order the tuner elsewhere (if cheaper) and then have Hensen send you the tunes based on mods?

and i know mountys and x's are vertually the same truck but it wont matter for this tuning system?

you could purchase the SCT X3 somewhere else but then I think its like $140 for three tunes from Henson. If you purchase the Tuner directly from Henson, he will give you three tunes included in the price.

James is also a memeber of this site, you can send him a message, there is a thread in the Vendors section, call or e-mail him. I have heard from other Forum members that his customer service is awesome, he'll gladly answer any of your ?'s.

Back