Question: Route USB Cable Through Media Hub Lid? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question: Route USB Cable Through Media Hub Lid?

Runamuk13

Reaction score
City, State
Tacoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
Has anyone modified the Sync Compartment Lid (just in front of gear shift) so you can close the lid and have a USB cable routed through or around the lid?

I want to have my phone plugged into the front (Sync Compartment) USB plugs and be able to close the lid.

My phone, with USB cable plugged in, won't fit in the compartment. So, I lay it on the seat, put it the cup holder, whatever. But I don't like having to leave the lid open.

Has anyone come up with a great way to modify the lid (or the compartment) to allow closing the lid and routing the cable out of the compartment?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The newer Explorers have a notch in the lid on the right hand side of it that allows for a cord to be connected with the lid down.

If you are handy with a dremel tool and perhaps a drill bit you may be able to carefully notch the lid to allow the cord to come through.

I went and looked, it isn't through the lid but a notch in the console

20200222_131755.jpg

Interesting!
Thanks for the picture JAPETERSON. That helps a lot.
Apparently, Ford figure this out between 2011 and 2016, because there's no notch on the 2011.

It would be easiest to machine a small notch in the edge of the lid.
Does anyone know if the lid is solid or hollow?
Does anyone have instructions for removing the Sync Compartment Lid so I can cut a notch?
Or, instructions for dismantling the center console?

20200222_150623.jpg

In my 2016, there is a USB plug inside the center console, my phone's USB cord is plugged into that.

IMG_3234.jpeg

I do have two small power cables from a camera and GPS running into the driver's side of that Sync compartment, I just carefully close the lid and there is enough wiggle room for the lid to squeeze shut. I don't use that compartment so it's kind of a permanent setup that works ok, not pretty tho.

IMG_3233.jpeg

If I need my phone plugged in I just use it in the center console and close the lid with it in there.

That USB hub connects to the one in the front compartment.

ExPlat, does the console in your 2016 have the notch like JAPeterson's 2016? The view in your picture is obscured by the shift knob.

MM07 - You do give me something to think about. The center console in my 2011 only has a power port, no USB plugs. However, perhaps I could (with some work and a little luck) replace the power plug with USB plugs and wire them to the front SYNC compartment USB plugs.

However, I kinda like using the front USB (even though they are very low power, 1A maybe less) because when I do put my phone in an air-vent phone holder, I don't have a cable running the length of the console.

If you just have a power port you can get adapters that will plug into them that will give you a USB output

Yup, JAPeterson, that is what I do.
In the Media Hub compartment of my 2011, I have 2 factory-installed USB ports and a Power Port. I put an adapter in the Power Port, then plug in a USB cable (sometimes I just plug into the factory-installed USB port) and then run the wire to my phone. It all works great except I have to leave the lid open. That's what started this Thread as I don't have a notch like you, so I'm looking for input from anybody that has cut a notch or other ideas for running the wire.

ExPlat, does the console in your 2016 have the notch like JAPeterson's 2016? The view in your picture is obscured by the shift knob.
Yep, mine has a notch on the passenger side, I should have mentioned that.

My 2015 Explorer has the same notch in the media hub lid. As to removing the lid, my 2015 workshop CD indicates (I have not attempted this) that the center armrest is to be removed (4 screws hold it in place), followed by the armrest latch (2 clips and possibly 2 screws). Next to remove is the upper finish panel. This is a large single molded piece that includes the gear shift surround, the cup holders and the media hub compartment, including the lid of this compartment. The upper finish panel is held into the center console by 4 retaining clips and the illustration in the workshop CD shows the panel being removed straight upward. It does not appear that the gearshift must be dismantled to remove the upper finish panel. There are no instructions on removal of the lid itself, so it is likely included as a part of the upper finish panel should its replacement be required. Hope your 2011 is similar and this info helps.
Greg

I have read in past posts that the lid is part of the media hub and cannot be ordered or replaced on its own.

Peter

So ... here is what I did.
Using a small round chain saw file, I carefully filed a small notch at the crease in the Media Hub lid. See pics.
I put the file in a drill, closed the lid with the file positioned at the crease and gently spun the file to create the notch in the lid and matching notch in the edge of the box. Just enough to get the USB cable through.

The notch is just barely visible with the lid closed.

20200325_132809.jpg

20200325_132707.jpg

20200325_134252.jpg

I've removed that upper finish panel and most of the console before on my 15. It's fairly easy. If it attaches the same, you could order just the top finish piece for a newer explorer if you didn't want to risk making it look bad.

I had a similar problem in an old Golf and ended purchasing a "flat USB cable" and it worked. It put some pressure on the latch, so you had to force it open a bit, but not too much of a hassle. Amazon has a ton of flat cables.

My lid doesn't have notch, so I ran a USB cable over the top of the door to a custom wired power port under the dash.

N2YYo7yl.jpg

Back