Question to all 5.0 guys! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question to all 5.0 guys!

ChopinOn22s said:
Mid 14 second SUV. How many people can say that?

I guess that would depend on how far you plan on going in that 14 seconds. If it is across the intersection I'm with ya. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for all the replys guys! I would really like to get a 5.0L Explorer. I have a 5.0L Mustang thats worked out. I really like the idea of awd. I know if you open up the exhuast and the intake you can get some more mileage out of them. Better than stock, which ever fuel mileage was a stock reading. I know the exhaust manifolds suck. I am a Ford technition, and have changed a few cracked manifolds and the port size is so small. Here me out a sec. If I got one of these 5.0s, the first thing would be exhaust. In the Ford Motorsport catalog they have headers for them, so I would go with those. I'd leave the cat mid pipes well along. I would make so custom cat back for it. With my mufflers of choice (spin techs). I would definatly put some kind of cold air intake on it. A custom chip or tuner would be next inline. I would also want to do some work on the heads. Port polish, little valve job, new springs and that it. Then I would want to see what mileage I could get. If I could adverage 15+ city and 20+ highway I would definatly do it. With my mustang, it started my love for the little 302. I really like these 5.0L Mountineers and Explorers!

Are they making the FMS headers again for the 5.0 explorers??? I thought they were done.

They are done with the FMS ones, but there are new ones out called "Torque Monsters". Do a search and see what you come up with.

midnitemadness, check out the two tone Mountaineers in your search. They are a higher end option like the Limited and Eddie Bauer. It doesn't mean that they have all of the options, but most people that ordered the two tone colors also ordered most other options. You can get every option except the memory seat(Limited), and I have that on my 98 Mountaineer. Good luck,
Don :thumbsup:

CDW6212R said:
midnitemadness, check out the two tone Mountaineers in your search. They are a higher end option like the Limited and Eddie Bauer. It doesn't mean that they have all of the options, but most people that ordered the two tone colors also ordered most other options. You can get every option except the memory seat(Limited), and I have that on my 98 Mountaineer. Good luck,

Thanks! Yeah I like the Explorers but I really like the look of the Mountineer. The grill and the rims. All of the options too. Also I screwed up. The FMS header were in an 01 catalog sorry. I'll look up those torque ones. One thing i thought that was messed. I did a Kelly blue book price for the Mountaineer and the Explorer. Both 98s with same options and a random 75k miles. The explorer was more money than the Mountaineer. Kinda messed up. Kinda think of the Mercury of a little higher end than the Ford but in essance the same vehcile. So two tone Montaineers :D

Make sure you are sitting down when you see the price of the Torque Monster headers. They appear to be very well designed, but there evidently is only room for 1.5" primaries. I'd much rather have 1.625" primaries.

I paid $8500 for my Mountaineer two years ago, through Ebay, with 98K miles. Consider buying a grille from a 2001 Mountaineer that is painted. It will bolt into a 99 or later model, and the 2002+ emblem will bolt into them. Good luck,

Back