Question: Why do my exterior door handles unlock the doors? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question: Why do my exterior door handles unlock the doors?

glf7773

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
So here is the problem, I have power locks, I lock the doors see the buttons go down, I close the drivers side door and the button pops up just a hair, on passenger side the button stays down. From the outside I lift the handles and the button pops up and door opens. Any thoughts or suggestions? This is on a 95 Explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I thought that was a convienience feature to keep you from locking your keys in the car. Does it stay locked if you close the door and lock it with the key or autolock remote thing?

My guess would be they are hooked up backwords in the door. Like the inside handles hooked to the outside handle. If that makes any sense.

Does it unlock if you pull the inside handle?

Or the switch in the ignition that senses that the key is "in contact" is defective, sending the signal that the key is "in" all the time. Therefore system is acting like it should, unlocking the doors.

Ok well I just noticed something, I cant open any doors including the back liftgate with the key, I am thinking they rely on a relay somewhere that is out. Not sur on this but seems like they might use power in them and they are not getting any.

Can anyone let me know if I am on the right track here?

well... it looks like you have a "normal" maintenance issue. First off, if your key doesn't work (what ever that means), it is a mechanical issue with the lock set and linkage in each door. IF the key doesn't turn at all, then your tumblers are "frozen" with crud, disassembly and cleaning is likely needed. On your "ghost unlocking door", it is likely a linkage issue, disassemble the panel and watch what happens when you lock and then move the out side handle. compare the result with the other doors.

Further, your post is some what "ambiguous" as to whether only your driver door "self unlocks" or all doors (notice the plural) "self unlock" either from the driver door or at each individual outside handle.

Back