QUESTION - Would a 17" OEM Steel Wheel fit on the Sport model? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

QUESTION - Would a 17" OEM Steel Wheel fit on the Sport model?

I put the 17" steelies on my XLT today and I needed to grind down a particularly large weld joint that was interfering with the brake caliper, that's how close it is! I am very surprised to hear that the 17" will fit on the Sport with the bigger brakes.

It did look like, however, that with a bit of a spacer (maybe 10mm?) that the narrowest part of the rim would be pushed out from the caliper have have a lot more clearance. No one take this as advice, just an observation.
Your profile shows you have a 2011 Kia??:scratch:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yep, created my profile while waiting for delivery and haven't thought about it since. I'll update it while it's on my mind.

15" or 16" wheel

Anyone know if a 15" or 16" rim dia would fit around the brakes? Going to add a 3" lift to my 2014 and am exploring Agressive tire options. Nothing i want comes in a 18-20" rim size.

Anyone know if a 15" or 16" rim dia would fit around the brakes? Going to add a 3" lift to my 2014 and am exploring Agressive tire options. Nothing i want comes in a 18-20" rim size.
As indicated in my PM, I have moved your post to this thread. The answer to your question is NO.
It was initailly thought that the smallest diameter wheel for the Sport would be an 18". Since then, a member, flowergirl1978, has posted that her dealer was able to fit a 17" on her Sport.

Peter

Our Explorer is XLT with 18" x 7.5". Looking at the back side of the wheel, there is a goo 1"+ between the brake caliper and the I.D. of the rim.

hrmm,, maybe a 16.5 but then again that size sux for finding tires too, hehe

I hate to bump an old thread like this.

Next winter I would like to get a set of winter wheels and dedicated snow tires for my '14 Sport (I'm a big believer in using proper snows in the winter), would the XLT's 18s fit over the brakes? My dealership told me a resounding "no", but I don't really believe them. Anyone here ever tried it?

I don't have the Sport but I'm using 18" wheels in place of the OEM 20" on my MKT. I don't see any reason why you can't do the same. There is a post where a member with a Sport was able to use 17" wheels.
See post 15 in this thread.

Peter

I want to see that ugly pic! :D

I don't have the Sport but I'm using 18" wheels in place of the OEM 20" on my MKT. I don't see any reason why you can't do the same. There is a post where a member with a Sport was able to use 17" wheels.
See post 15 in this thread.

Peter

Back