• Register Today It's free!

Question

Armywife

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Lewis, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
Okay this may seem like a dumb question, but is it possible to put a third row into a Explorer that did not come with one? Our situation now calls for more seating, but my explorer doesn't have a third row but I have heard you can buy them. I would hate to have to trade mine in for one with a third row or a Expedition. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes some have done it. It is possible but you need a lot of parts to do so, only way would be to find a junkyard donor. What you will need in brief: 3rd Row, 2nd Row it has the brackets that allow the seat to fold and tumble to gain access to the back, 3rd row Seat Belts, 3rd row Trim where the belt goes through and am I missing anything?
They pop up on fleabay every now and again, my local yard has an ’06 with it. I forgot the threads, but if you search 3rd row, you might find more information.

I just picked up an aftermarket third row seat off Craigslist for 20 bucks!

I think its a "little passenger seat", its tan and almost matches the color perfectly. It doesn't fold down, so that's a bummer, and foot room for an adult is non existent. It will be for kids in carseats only. It only has built in lap belts, no shoulder. But it can be done. Mounting it will require you to drill holes and find a suitable frame location, but im making brackets to hopefully use the factory mounting points and have it be stout, yet removable for cargo. Having a cup holder in the back with no seat next to it always bugged me.

Sure beats taking a trade in hit to gain a few extra seats for short trips.

They are reselling the "little people seat" same pics and drop shipped from them. They are pricey, but worth it.

If anyone is worried about the build of these seats, don't be. They are heavy steel frame, feel like a factory car seat, belts are bolted and welded to the frames. Your biggest problem in a 3rd gen is getting down to something substantial to bolt it too.

I have yet to look into the insurance differences between a factory 5 and 7 seat explorer. If you get in a wreck, they could fight giving you any coverage due to your seat modifications.

Back