Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question

lakeport

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
Eh there folks, I have a really stupid question for you all, I currently own a '96 Explorer XLT 4-door and previously owned a '95 XLT 4-door, now my question is about the child safety locks on the rear doors. On both trucks, I tried to disengage the safety locks just like it is shown on the side of the door without any success, is there a differant way of disengaging them or am I simply doing something wrong?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it's like the 3rd gen, you can open from outside, but the driver has to open the doors from the inside, correct?

They can be pretty hard to move sometimes. A pair of needle-nose pliers was required to convince mine to change positions.

soe wd-40 wouldn't hurt either, I know mine were siezed up

Well Donner, the only that the doors can be opened is from the outside, they can't be opened from the inside at all.

m4dc0w & cahunterman, I will give your ideas a try. I know the ignition key is able to adjust the child lock, but any advice will be put to good use.

Welcome, by the way :) The child safety locks on the 03 move freely, but they really don't need to be there because you can't open the door from the inside either way. It's a trip...

Back