Questions about a Bronco 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Questions about a Bronco 2

its_me

Reaction score
Can anybody tell me the difference in a 2.8 carberated engine and a 2.9 fuel injected engine for a Bronco 2??? Also, would it be possible to pull the intake manifold and carberator off of the 2.8 and put it on the 2.9, doing away with the fuel injection system??? Are the blocks the same on the 2.8 and 2.9??? To anyone who can give me an answer on these questions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I never really looked into the differences between the 2.8 and 2.9, but I know there is enough difference in the intakes that you can't just bolt a 2.8 carb/intake onto the 2.9. That's not to say that it can't be done, but the only carb'ed 2.9's that I've heard of are full custom builds. As far as I know, there isn't an easy "bolt on" carb kit or swap for the 2.9.

My question would be...

WHY?!?? :eek: :confused: :scratch: :wtf: :crazy: :dunno: :banghead:

according to the internet, the 2.8, 2.9, and 4.0 are all considered part of the same V-6 family, known as the Cologne V-6. But while being part of the same family, many of the parts are not interchangeable.

The 2.8 uses a gear drive timing system (camshaft turns opposite direction of crank) while the 2.9 uses a chain drive timing system (camshaft turns same direction as crank).

Exhaust valves are located differently on the 2.9 also.

Im guessing (GUESSING!) that you would need to swap the heads and intake from the 2.8 onto the 2.9 block in order to run the 2.8 carb. (Or Holley 2150 2 barrel if I remember right, is the choice replacement for that pile of crap electronic carb it came stock with). But with the exhaust valves being in a different location, Im not sure that the pushrods would line up with the older heads.

Most guys actually convert the 2.8 over to fuel injection using the throttle body injection off a rear wheel drive 3.8 v-6 ford from the 90s (t-bird, crown vic, NOT taurus).

that would be a big step back, some people are scared of fuel injection, but the stuff on the 2.9 is as simple as it gets. the carb off the 2.8 is that *******ization of electronically controled and carburation, there is a reason they did away with that. if you are having problems with your 2.9 fix that, its probably not possible to swap the intake onto the 2.9, I know for sure the 2.9 intake won't go on a 4.0.

Back