Questions about adding a system with DVD & monitor to my 2002 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Questions about adding a system with DVD & monitor to my 2002 Explorer

JPWM

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Limited
I'm seriously thinking about adding a Monitor to my 2002 Exlporer Limited. With a DVD player/TV tuner, and a CD Changer....I'm looking at Alpine systems.

But I also want to add some new speakers and a amp. And a pre-powered Sub. I have 6 speakers in my Explorer now(stock), and was wondering, do I make the 4 rear speaker on the rear channel, and the 2 in the front on the front channel? Do I need a new alternator(more powerful one) for this?

Anyone else done such a thing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do the 2002 Explorers now have 4 reaer speakers? Where are they mounted? 2 in the doors, and how about the other two? I have 2 TVs (on ein each viisor) and a VCR and DVD player so it definitely can be done. Sounds like you would like to upgrade your entire audio system, and if the specs for the 2002 are not different from previous years, 5x7s or 6x8s will fit in the doors. I recommend a component system powered bya good amp. As for a powered sub, you can add one to the rear cargo area in the side compartment, but I recommend getting a good box with 1 or 2 subs, itll sound better and cost less. Just my 2 cents.

Check out the Panasonic in dash DVD. I have one and chose it over the Alpine systems

you wont need a better alternator unless you're going all out for a high powered system.

I have a Kenwood KVT-910 DVD and two additional monitors in the headrests. 1200 watts total system power. I did not need to upgrade the alt. Just use a 1 Fa Cap. and that will work great.

Well...Everyone, thank you for your help

My system gets installed tomorrow, when I drop of my Explorer... :)

Here is what I'm having installed:
CD/DVD Receiver with in-dash Monitor
Kenwood eXcelon KVT-910DVD

DVD GPS Navigation System
Kenwood eXcelon KNA-DV2100

10 disk CD Changer
Kenwood C907

Signal Processor / Dolby Digital 5.1
Kenwood KDS-P900

Amplified Center Speaker
Kenwood KSC-900CTR

Amp
Kenwood eXcelon KAC-X501F

Front Speakers - 5 1/4"
Kenwood KFC-Xr500

Rear Speakers - 6" x 8"
Kenwood KFC-X688C

Subwoofer Amp
Kenwood KAC-819

Subwoofer
Kenwood BP-210

Capacitor
Lightning Audio

That's going to be AMAZING!!! Make sure to take some pictures and post them.
later,
Rob

Roof monitor

I just checked into doing this yesterday But I wanted to add a monitor in the back for the kids the Guy in the shop did not seem to think it would be a problem to add the drop down monitor to the roof. However I have the airbags up there does anyone know if this will be a problem? and was this the reason you went with the in dash monitor.,

That looks close to the set up I have.

I have all the same Kenwood A/V setup including Navigation, and also two 7.0 wide screen Headrests. But the Audio is all Rockford Fosgate. 6.5 FanaticX components front and rear, HE2 Stealth box mounted and RF Power Amps. I also added a PS2. I already have everything installed I just need to post the pics to my site.

I know you will love the Kenwood touch screen! Traffic is something I look forward to now with the dvd.

The guy told me I could add a monitor on the roof, but it'd to be behind my sunroof....I would have gotten one from the factory, but I have a sunroof on my Limited. And no one ever ride in the 2nd or 3rd row seats....well occassionally, but not to often. Although that will change in June, after my first child is born :)

Re: Roof monitor

Originally posted by jpstephens
I just checked into doing this yesterday But I wanted to add a monitor in the back for the kids the Guy in the shop did not seem to think it would be a problem to add the drop down monitor to the roof. However I have the airbags up there does anyone know if this will be a problem? and was this the reason you went with the in dash monitor.,
dont mess with the anything near the airbags unless you are taking them out. i've seen a few things go wrong when people did a custom install too close to the airbags.

Wow, that sounds awesome.

Question:

Where are they installing the sub? I have a 2002, and want to install some stuff, but not sure where to install, and am looking for suggestions.

Thanks, can't wait to see pics of all the goodies.

Back