questions about my 4.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

questions about my 4.0

19904.0ohv

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1990 ranger
ok guys im new to rangers and just picked me up a 1990 and its got the 4.0 and has the 4.0 tag under the hood..but some people have told me the 4.0s didnt come in the 90s just 91 and up..is this true? another question is does my truck have a rev limiter? i also noticed the truck has 2 cats..is that stock?

All I know about the rangers engines are that they had the 2.3l and the 2.9l not the 4.0l. The 4.0 was in the explorers.

ok guys im new to rangers and just picked me up a 1990 and its got the 4.0 and has the 4.0 tag under the hood..but some people have told me the 4.0s didnt come in the 90s just 91 and up..is this true? another question is does my truck have a rev limiter? i also noticed the truck has 2 cats..is that stock?

I believe there is a rev limiter at around 4900 (more like a fuel cut off) THERE IS NO POINT IN RUNNING THE ENGINE THAT HIGH, the 4.0 is NOT a powerful engine.

2cats are stock.

All I know about the rangers engines are that they had the 2.3l and the 2.9l not the 4.0l. The 4.0 was in the explorers.

In 1990 ford made the 4.0 an option for the ranger.

Back