Questions about new tires on stock rims | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Questions about new tires on stock rims

Hello EF,
I have a few questions about wheels and tires. What I want to do is buy a set of new 32's to mount on stock rims for my '00 eddie bauer ex. My rims are 16x7.0j.

My first questions are: What is the .0j stand for? And will it affect which tire I buy?

My second question is: what is a good brand to go with that makes a tire that size to fit the stock rims?

Since I never bought new tires before I'm a little confused as to what numbers from the tire you have to match to the rim.

Also I don't want to spend an awful amount of money either. Preferably less than a grand. Give or take.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's a 2000 Explorer Eddie Bauer.

Since I never bought new tires before I'm a little confused as to what numbers from the tire you have to match to the rim.
The most important number to match up is the rim diameter (16 in this case). The 7.0 is the rim width. If you look at the approved rim widths for a given size tire that the tire manufacturers publish, you'll generally find that the tire manufacturers want the rim width to be 65% to 90% of the tire's tread width. So you'll want a tire that is at least 8 inches wide, but not wider than about 11 inches.

I'm not sure, either, what the j refers to -- maybe style or alloy or something.

Hmm, thanks. Didn't know that. That comes in very handy now.

Not sure if you will be able to get 32s without a TT/Schackles or some trimming. I'd check that out first.

Not sure if you will be able to get 32s without a TT/Schackles or some trimming. I'd check that out first.

I already did the TT and have shackles. I'm going to do a 2" body lift and possibly throw on some add-a-leafs.

The "J" or "JJ" refers to the shape of the wheel's flange (lip which holds the bead of the tire).

JJ = 18.0mm high x 13.0mm wide, with a 13.0mm radius
J = 17.5mm high x 13.0mm wide, with a 9.0mm radius

Standard specs on wheel lips obviously make it so tires are similarly standardized to fit on them.

You can probably fit 32's on there, BUT with stock 7 inch wide rims, you're going to be limited to a 32x10.50 / 32x11.50 tire. You'll also be limited in tire width since they will rub when turning unless you get wheel spacers.

You can get metric sizes though, something like 265/75R16 might work and not be too big. Usually the more popular tires like BFG A/T's have more sizes to fit a wide variety of applications, but there are plenty of tires out there, so just look around and check out other people's rides and tire manufactuers websites until you find what you like.

You will be fine with a 265/75/16. That is what I plan to do later this month. I am eying up the hankook dynadro atm. 265/75 is basically a 32x10.50

Back