Reaction score
City, State
Space City, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2024 Bronco
2000 F-250
Callsign
KF5ZXT / WRZY675
I ordered some rancho rs9000 shocks for my truck, duals in the front and singles in the rear. I am ordering a superlift 5.5" system in a couple of weeks, so I ordered the shocks for a 6" lift. The shocks got here, but they don't look much longer than the ones already on my truck. If anyone has the model numbers for the rs9000's for this application, I'd love to hear them. Mine are model numbers 9179 and 9116. Also, I removed one of my rear shocks and noticed the the ones already on there were of the bar pin mount variety, whereas the rear shock that was sent to me has open eyes at both ends. Am I missing a piece, or are these the wrong shocks?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, they're wrong...

Hey Mudd*****, yeah, you got the wrong ones, front AND rear. The front ones you got are too long and the rear ones are for a 2wd F150, too short and no crosspins. Did you buy from someone who'll take 'em back without any problems? Are you running the kit that puts the shocks side by side behind the coils?

Is there somewhere to look at an applications chart to see what is supposed to go to my truck? I am running a skyjacker dual shock kit, which puts the two shocks side by side behind the coils, one on each side. How much of a lift are the shocks I got for the front meant for? As for them taking them back, they damn well better! I ordered them from 4wheelparts.com.

Hey again Mudd*****, the shocks you need are 9115's in the front and 9185's in the rear. You're getting the Superlift kit right? Well, they just flip the axle under the springs, so the shocks won't need to be any longer than stock as the mounts on the spring plates don't get moved really at all. The shocks will be the limiter for your down travel as they are now. The shocks you got were meant for the front of an F-series or Bronco in front of the coils with a 4" lift. The 9179's will bottom out long before your suspension bottoms completely. I've got a bunch of catalogs that almost all have spec charts in the back for shock lengths and spring rates and standing heights. It pays to know knowledgeable people in the right places. Call ORW.com at 800-341-7757, I think Mark always answers the phone there, he can help you out...

Well I contacted 4wheelparts.com, saying:

I recently purchased some shocks from your site for a 91 Ford Explorer with a superlift 5.5" suspension lift. Having just arrived in the country, I opened the package and I believe that the wrong model numbers were sent to me. I received 4 model number 9116 and two model number 9179. I believe that the correct model numbers for my application are the 9115's in the front and 9185's in the rear. My rear shock requires a bar pin mount, and the ones sent to me, model number 9179, has open eyelets at both ends. Let me know if there is some kind of misunderstanding. The application chart I saw had the 9179's going to a 2wd F150, and the 9116's going to a Ford Bronco. If I can take them to a local 4wheelparts warehouse and exchange them, or send them back to you collect in exchange for the correct ones, I would appreciate it.

They wrote me back:

Hello Randall,

The reason you probably got those shocks is because they don't make them for your vehicle with that amount of lift, the other shocks you think would fit, would be too short and wont even bolt on probably. You could take them to a local retail store and see which ones would fit
better. I think you will need to remove the bar pin from the other shocks and install it on the new shock,

Thank You
Ray Sanchez

And I wrote them again:

<< You could take them to a local retail store and see which ones would fit better. I think you will need to remove the bar pin from the other shocks and install it on the new shock, >>

Well, I contacted Rancho and they told me that they were definately the wrong ones, and that it would not be a very good idea to try and install the bar pin in the new shock, as it would result in damage to the bushing, which would create a weak link in the system. If my only option was to rig something on there, don't you think that I should have been made aware of that at the initial time of purchase?

<< The reason you probably got those shocks is because they don't make them for your vehicle with that amount of lift, the other shocks you think would fit, would be too short and wont even bolt on probably.>>

Whereas the ones you sent are definitely too short, and definitely don't bolt on. Go figure.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Back