Questions about replacing gauge cluster | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Questions about replacing gauge cluster

J

JDegenerate

My gauge cluster is in bad shape and the odo/trip doesn't work any more. I got a replacement cluster with an intact worm gear and it's in great shape (the mileage is higher and closer to the actual for those curious), but I have a couple of questions about the installation.

Will I need to calibrate the gauges or will they work normally? The only one I pulled the needle from was the speedo to get at the worm gear.

What LED bulbs should I use? My research says 194 SMD LEDs, so I looked those up - will these give me even illumination?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should not have to re-calibrate the gauges.

However, the speedo will be a little tricky. Since you have already removed the needle from the shaft without any measurement of the original resistance or position, I think you will have to (carefully) drive 60 mph, then have someone else (carefully) place the speedometer needle on the shaft in the 60 mph position. Otherwise the needle will not begin to move until you reach 10 or 15 mph.

The white 194 bulbs are very adequate.... Tip: Polarity matters for LED, and if you do not have positive/negative connections right, you will have trouble with lights not working.. There is info on this forum about that.

Good luck.

You should not have to re-calibrate the gauges.

However, the speedo will be a little tricky. Since you have already removed the needle from the shaft without any measurement of the original resistance or position, I think you will have to (carefully) drive 60 mph, then have someone else (carefully) place the speedometer needle on the shaft in the 60 mph position. Otherwise the needle will not begin to move until you reach 10 or 15 mph.

The white 194 bulbs are very adequate.... Tip: Polarity matters for LED, and if you do not have positive/negative connections right, you will have trouble with lights not working.. There is info on this forum about that.

Good luck.
Thanks. That'll be really fun since my cruise buttons have been out since I got the thing! :)

a little safer then driving trying to stab the needle back on, and i have had to do that in the past long before i found this video. says for a ranger, explorer should be the same

What LED bulbs should I use? My research says 194 SMD LEDs, so I looked those up - will these give me even illumination?
Went through this dilemma a while ago after replacing dome and license plate lamps with great results. LED dash cluster conversion was another story. Many reports of uneven lighting, too bright, dimming issues, etc. Google picture searches convinced me not to do it. Can't say I find ANY of these conversion pics satisfactory, at least to me.
ford ranger explorer led dash cluster - Google Search

Maybe these guys have found a T10 /W5W LED that works well. Almost tempted to contact them for info and to see if they will sell them separately. (LED Upgrade)
2004 - 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Instrument Cluster Repair

VRoom,

Sadly, the above video is awesome information BEFORE you remove the speedo needle from the shaft. After the needle was removed, there is no way this calibration could be performed. Otherwise, yes, the video is informative and the technique is safer.

JD, Just to be sure… The cruise control buttons do not contain 194 bulbs. The conversion to LED is a little trickier. Or you can buy new cruise control buttons. Good luck!

JD, Just to be sure… The cruise control buttons do not contain 194 bulbs. The conversion to LED is a little trickier. Or you can buy new cruise control buttons. Good luck!
I meant to say my buttons are gone, they don't work; all that remains is an exposed and damaged board.

VRoom,

Sadly, the above video is awesome information BEFORE you remove the speedo needle from the shaft. After the needle was removed, there is no way this calibration could be performed. Otherwise, yes, the video is informative and the technique is safer.

when you watch the video he has said everytime he has done it, it reads 73 mph. i would try it, pin the needle on the bench then go for a ride with a gps and see if its dead nuts or not. even if its off by 1 or 2 mph thats better then getting your hands tangled up in a steering wheel while doing 60 mph. ask me how i know.

Went through this dilemma a while ago after replacing dome and license plate lamps with great results. LED dash cluster conversion was another story. Many reports of uneven lighting, too bright, dimming issues, etc. Google picture searches convinced me not to do it. Can't say I find ANY of these conversion pics satisfactory, at least to me.
ford ranger explorer led dash cluster - Google Search

lol. i looked and the 15th pic is my gauges! however, a older pic. i did change which led bulbs that were in there since that pic

15th pic from Ranger Forum vroom? If so, not bad, just too bright for me. Do the newer replacements dim?

Have a pic with the new LED's and some bulb info? TIA

Why do you "need" LEDs? It's 22 y/o, I could see it if there were much of a chance they would fail again before *most* people retire the vehicle but that whole marketing angle of LEDs using less power is insignificant in this app, we're only talking a tiny difference in total vehicle power consumption and the light quality is inferior, less even, harder to discern colors, causes more night blindness, uneven brightness adjustment compared to other bulbs on that dimmer circuit.

... this coming from someone who has modded dozens of things to be LED lit but on vehicles, some LED *upgrades* don't bring any appreciable benefits.

Why do you "need" LEDs? It's 22 y/o, I could see it if there were much of a chance they would fail again before *most* people retire the vehicle but that whole marketing angle of LEDs using less power is insignificant in this app, we're only talking a tiny difference in total vehicle power consumption and the light quality is inferior, less even, harder to discern colors, causes more night blindness, uneven brightness adjustment compared to other bulbs on that dimmer circuit.

... this coming from someone who has modded dozens of things to be LED lit but on vehicles, some LED *upgrades* don't bring any appreciable benefits.
I never stated that I "need" them as you imply; I like the way they look, and I want them. It's that simple.

I never stated that I "need" them as you imply; I like the way they look, and I want them. It's that simple.

^ Suit yourself, but how can you like how they'd look in your vehicle when you don't have them and don't even know which to get? That doesn't make sense? :dunno:

^ Suit yourself, but how can you like how they'd look in your vehicle when you don't have them and don't even know which to get? That doesn't make sense? :dunno:
By looking at results others have had. In the same vehicle, one can decide with fair reason whether they'd like to try them. If I don't like them, I can just put the bulbs back in. It really isn't a big deal lol.

Then I would get the same bulbs that those others did. If it's a different LED setup then you can't be assured of the same brightness or beam spread. That it's LED or not, means less than the size/number/mounting angles.

I used the Superbrite 194 LEDs from Walmart. Very pleased with the results. Easy on the eyes, and very attractive.

For me, the Explorer vehicle is a challenge, a hobby, and versatile transportation all in one.

Good luck.

15th pic from Ranger Forum vroom? If so, not bad, just too bright for me. Do the newer replacements dim?

Have a pic with the new LED's and some bulb info? TIA

nope. the one with the flames.
as why would someone want to go to LED's? either stock 194 bulbs are not bright enough (personally i dont think they are, and if the are, use your dimmer to dim it down) or to change the interior lighting colour. personally, i like the way they look. i have changed all of the lights in mine to LED's and would never change them back. i built my own boards for the dome lights as well, and you can suntan with the lights at night which is the way i like it. everyone is different. just because you dont like something someone has done, doesnt mean its bad and vise versa. me, i just like changing stuff in my truck to something no body has, or something that you cant buy. you have to make it.
thats my own 2 cents

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've found that the smaller incandescent 12V auto bulbs tend to become very dim with age. If you remove one and look at it they often look like the glass has been chromed from the inside. Just replacing the bulbs with new ones can make a huge difference. If you do stick with incandescent bulbs, be sure to buy long-life bulbs, as the cheap standard bulbs don't last very long and it's a PITA to change them. Personally I wouldn't go through the trouble or expense to switch to LED dash bulbs, but as @vroomzoomboom said, that's just me.

Back