Questions about spark plugs...

punisher

Punisher
Reaction score
City, State
Fullerton, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer 4.0L SOHC
Will a new set of spark plugs and wires improve the performance of an Explorer w/ 50,000 miles? Any MPG increase? When is it recommended to change the plugs/wires? What so you guys recommend as the best plugs/wires? Thanks for the help.

BTW, I have a '97 Explorer XLT V6 SOHC.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

oopsie

Well..I guess this would be a good place to apoligize to everyone for recommending the Nology wires and silverstone plugs awhile ago. For a amusing and informative look at ignition wires (and plugs) go to

http://www.magnecor.com

and check out all the articles and the overview of wires and the whole industry..I got a kick out of it!

Also, if anyone knows a place that stocks the Explorer Magnecor wires for cheap, let me know.

Punisher you should do a search because there is a lot of info about plugs and wires from back in the day. I like my combination of bosh +4s and bosh premium wires.

-Chav

Originally posted by punisher
Will a new set of spark plugs and wires improve the performance of an Explorer w/ 50,000 miles? Any MPG increase? When is it recommended to change the plugs/wires? What so you guys recommend as the best plugs/wires? Thanks for the help.

BTW, I have a '97 Explorer XLT V6 SOHC.

I think the recommended interval on my '97 SOHC V6 is 60K under severe duty. The recommended interval is listed in your Maintenance Service Guide. I replaced mine with identical Motorcraft plugs at around 50K and saw no benefit. Since I had already bought them a month earlier and had both front tires off to do a break job, it was easier to go ahead and put them in.

I don't know about 50,000 miles... I bought my explorer used, and the maintenance record was a mystery in terms of little stuff like that. So when 90,000 miles rolled around I changed the wires and plugs to Bosch Platinum +4s and Jacobs wires. As soon as I started the truck up after the switch, I noticed that it was running a little smooter and quieter. I got maybe a 1 mpg increase in fuel economy, probably only because the previous plugs and wires were so old.

Originally posted by Anime4x4
Also, if anyone knows a place that stocks the Explorer Magnecor wires for cheap, let me know.

I ordered a set for my Explorer from http://www.cyberauto.com last week. I paid $78.75 shipped for them (retail $105). They're shipped directly from Magnecor, and there is a 3-4 week backlog on them. I'm not in a big rush for them, anyway.

[Edited by Okrazie1 on 12-04-2000 at 03:13 PM]

yesssssssssssssss

Thanky thanky Okrazie1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll be ordering them from there! :D

Suprise!

I received my Magnecor wires Tuesday. It only took a week to get them. Put them on this afternoon, took about 25 minutes. I had sent back a set of Jacobs (was sent the wrong ones, even though Performance Products said it was the right part number), and the Magnecor wires look like a much higher quality product. I wasn't impressed with the Jacobs "bend the boot to the correct angle" plug boots.

Back