Questions about spark plugs... | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Questions about spark plugs...

punisher

Punisher
Reaction score
City, State
Fullerton, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer 4.0L SOHC
Will a new set of spark plugs and wires improve the performance of an Explorer w/ 50,000 miles? Any MPG increase? When is it recommended to change the plugs/wires? What so you guys recommend as the best plugs/wires? Thanks for the help.

BTW, I have a '97 Explorer XLT V6 SOHC.

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Anime

EF YEAH!!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 EX Sport Concept
oopsie

Well..I guess this would be a good place to apoligize to everyone for recommending the Nology wires and silverstone plugs awhile ago. For a amusing and informative look at ignition wires (and plugs) go to

http://www.magnecor.com

and check out all the articles and the overview of wires and the whole industry..I got a kick out of it!

Also, if anyone knows a place that stocks the Explorer Magnecor wires for cheap, let me know.

<

Chav

Reaction score
Punisher you should do a search because there is a lot of info about plugs and wires from back in the day. I like my combination of bosh +4s and bosh premium wires.

-Chav

<

Robert

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Kelseyville, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'13 Ram 1500 Longhorn
Originally posted by punisher
Will a new set of spark plugs and wires improve the performance of an Explorer w/ 50,000 miles? Any MPG increase? When is it recommended to change the plugs/wires? What so you guys recommend as the best plugs/wires? Thanks for the help.

BTW, I have a '97 Explorer XLT V6 SOHC.

I think the recommended interval on my '97 SOHC V6 is 60K under severe duty. The recommended interval is listed in your Maintenance Service Guide. I replaced mine with identical Motorcraft plugs at around 50K and saw no benefit. Since I had already bought them a month earlier and had both front tires off to do a break job, it was easier to go ahead and put them in.

<

B94Sport

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Geneva, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
I don't know about 50,000 miles... I bought my explorer used, and the maintenance record was a mystery in terms of little stuff like that. So when 90,000 miles rolled around I changed the wires and plugs to Bosch Platinum +4s and Jacobs wires. As soon as I started the truck up after the switch, I noticed that it was running a little smooter and quieter. I got maybe a 1 mpg increase in fuel economy, probably only because the previous plugs and wires were so old.

<

Okrazie1

Elite Zoom Zoomer!
Reaction score
City, State
Newport News, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Ranger
Originally posted by Anime4x4
Also, if anyone knows a place that stocks the Explorer Magnecor wires for cheap, let me know.

I ordered a set for my Explorer from http://www.cyberauto.com last week. I paid $78.75 shipped for them (retail $105). They're shipped directly from Magnecor, and there is a 3-4 week backlog on them. I'm not in a big rush for them, anyway.

[Edited by Okrazie1 on 12-04-2000 at 03:13 PM]

<

Anime

EF YEAH!!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 EX Sport Concept
yesssssssssssssss

Thanky thanky Okrazie1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll be ordering them from there! :D

<

Okrazie1

Elite Zoom Zoomer!
Reaction score
City, State
Newport News, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Ranger
Suprise!

I received my Magnecor wires Tuesday. It only took a week to get them. Put them on this afternoon, took about 25 minutes. I had sent back a set of Jacobs (was sent the wrong ones, even though Performance Products said it was the right part number), and the Magnecor wires look like a much higher quality product. I wasn't impressed with the Jacobs "bend the boot to the correct angle" plug boots.

<