• Register Today It's free!

Questions about spooling an 8.8

andyr354

Reaction score
City, State
Mahaska, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
89 Jeep Cherokee
Hopefully you will answer the questions of a Jeeper. I am considering putting a 95+ explorer rear in my XJ. Was wondering what modifications are needed to spool this axle. Didn't really wanna invest in all the cash for a locker when the jeep is not driven on the street.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Andy and welcome to the site.
Well I have never used a spool, but i would imagine that it wouldn't be any harder to put one in than it would be for any locker. The ARB is somewhat a spool.
Putting a 8.8 in your XJ will definately strengthen your ride.

Weld up the spider gears, the easiest, quickest way to spool it. Why pay someone $$$$ to install a spool when you can just weld 'em up, or get a mini-spool from Randy's Ring and Pinion, they should be under 50 bucks I believe, and they install in less than an hour. That is unless you're regearing, then might as well spend a few bucks to get a full spool.

Just remember the 8.8" is a C-clip axle. The mini-spool won't get rid of that.

The c-clips don't bother me to much, since the calipers will hold the axles in if I would ever happen to somehow break one.
If I weld it is it still posible to get the axleshafts out? Not familiar with how the axle is put together.

Guess then I should just get one from a 95 or newer to get the 31 spline axles and disks. Get a 4.10 ratio and no trac-loc. Then proceed with the lincoln:)

The first gen explorers came with 31 spine shafts too, just drums on the rear. I see a few of the Explorer axles on ebay evey now and again. 95+ 8.8 w/ 4.10's, completly rebuilt with new brakes for like 500ish. Then there are a few with lockers in them for like 700. Check on ebay for it, it is a company that refurbishes them.

Chris

Found one out of a 98 for $450. Is a 4.10 ratio, getting all brake lines, spring plates, ebrake cables, and has 58K miles on it.
At a local salvage yard. It was still in the explorer that had a front end collision, looks good.

That sounds like a pretty sweet deal! That will be a nice upgrade for your Jeep, good luck with it and let us know how it turns out with your spool if you choose to go that route!

Happy trails!!

Back