questions and comments about James Duff products inside :) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

questions and comments about James Duff products inside :)

Currency

Reaction score
City, State
Bedford Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT 4x4
My 94 explorer is pretty much bone stock and I have some issues to work out before I can add a lift, larger tires or even swap gears.

But I had some questions about James Duff products. I also wanted your guys thoughts and suggestions for these products.

http://www.jamesduff.com/broncoII/dualshock.html

Our new design completely replaces the stock coil bucket and shock mount. Both shocks mount behind the coil for a smoother ride, better tire clearance and articulation. Works with the stock sway bar. Bolt on design, no welding required. Blue powdercoated for long lasting good looks. All new parts, No core required.

Also,

http://www.jamesduff.com/broncoII/radiusarms.html

Better turning radius, better ground clearance and improved handling all in one product! Fabricated with 1/4" plate and 2" O.D. heavy wall tubing, not reworked stock stamped pieces. Built in offset to clear larger tires on stock 4 1/2" backspace wheels. At the frame, a massive 1" bore high quality Rod End. Includes blue powdercoated arms, rod ends, bushings, heavy-duty replacement transmission crossmember and all necessary mounting hardware. All new parts, No core required.

I'm going to be replacing my RA brackets soon and could be interested in replacing my stock RA's.

Has anyone here used these products on their explorers? If so please let me know your opinions on them.

The dual shock setup is kinda cheap and I believe it would look pretty cool. I've not seen it done many times and I believe the stronger coil buckets may help later on after I lift it.

Do you guys believe these RA's would help out on a rough road? They make it sound stronger then stock RA's. My explorer already needs the RA brackets replaced so why not get new RA's while I'm at it?

My shocks also need replaced so maybe six is better then four?

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have a JD 3-4 inch lift without extended radius arms. honestly, its the biggest piece of crap lift i have ever owned. just havent had the the time to take it off and put a different one on (superlift 5.5)

...This guy can probably answer most all Duff questions...;)
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145059&highlight=duff

I read the entire thread, Also seen where that ranger was parted out and I believe junked afterwords. Reading about his new project to see if it contains James Duff product's. I also sent him a PM and kindly ask for any suggestions with a link to this thread.

From the pictures I do like the new mounts with the RA's then the stock explorer mounts which still have rivets in them and the passenger side has to go and soon.

I'll look around at some other brands as well.

i have a JD 3-4 inch lift without extended radius arms. honestly, its the biggest piece of crap lift i have ever owned. just havent had the the time to take it off and put a different one on (superlift 5.5)

You would be happier with your lift if you had some extended RAs. Doesn't matter if you're running Duff RAs, Superlift, Skyjacker or extend your stockers.

I have absolutely no complaints about their Stage III 5.5" lift. Its a good kit and is beefy. I've beat the snot out of it and it took it all. Looking at other brand lifts, Duff's bracket that bolts to the backside of the engine crossmember is 3/8" compared to 1/4" that the other companies use.

Is it the end all be all TTB lift, no. All the companies make good lift kits. I think the Duff kits are just made a little more stout. But there is a few areas they could improve on though. I did add a brace to the back of the rear drop bracket to help it live longer.

If I were to do it all over again, I would order it without their springs and go with some 6" lift front XJ springs (softer, better flex) and 63" Chevy leaf springs (better flex/ride)

Thanks for your thoughts on James Duff product's 90ranajo.

My next upgrade I believe will be the JD radius arm's and 31" tires. I do plan on keeping my explorer for awhile. I won't say forever because I'm sure something will happen at some point and I'll have a reason to get something else. It may not be until sometime next year but I do plan on getting them with a set of 31's and some different rims.

Because I do plan on keeping my explorer I don't think I'll be putting any lift on it larger the 4 inches. Maybe JD's 2.5 inch lift with the extended RA's which I should have before I even lift it.

I most likely wouldn't be home right now because I just returned from Foote's Tomb behind swifty gas station here in Bedford. It's just a few blocks from my house. Also with the recent rain the trails are still somewhat muddy but.... To my surprise my explorer handled the trails extremely well, In 2wd. My 4x4 is AWAL right now until I replace the shift motor. The one thing I did notice was my good year wranglers love to hold the mud in it's treads. That's why I will be getting more aggressive 31 inch off road tires later on. I pretty much slid half way back down the main trail leading to the truck trails. It's some what steep and rocky. I was worried about clearance issues with my stock explorer but I didn't hit anything or bottom out anywhere. Good ride overall but it shows which area's need improvement's.

It should be 3 to 12 weeks before I am able to make these improvements unless I find a job :)

but at least I know what I want to improve and about how much it will cost. :p:

I will update this thread once I make my purchases.

I've got the same kit you mentioned and it now on my second rbv, the first was a ranger and now my Explorer. It is indeed beefy and like the other fellow my only complaint is the springs they used with the 5.5" kit. One of my leaf packs bagged out premature and Duff warrantied it without any hassles. I don't have any reservations about suggesting their stuff to anyone.

Even if you only want to do a 3" lift, I'd still go with the 63" chevys and 4" lift XJ springs.

I think I'm in the middle as to what I think of the Duff kit/company

For a small lift (2.5") It was great.. It flexed well, rode well (I loved the front springs from their small lift).. We did add the f-150 spring seats to the front to get a little more lift over time..

I did manage to bend a bracket the 1st year we had it (got the tie rod lock nut into the bracket). They sent me a new bracket for free, and put a pic of our X in their catalog (this was circa 2001)..

Over time, we wore out the springs (close to 200k miles on them). We bought a set of springs (a little taller, for the 3.5" lift) and managed to break one somewhat early (less than a year).. They didn't offer to replace it, so I just bought another set.. (not happy about that)..

I have since added f-150 shock mounts and are now using 12" travel rs9000xl shocks up front. The longer shocks now means the short Radius Arms are our limiting factor. I have a set extended arms (not Duff) I need to install..

As for the rear, we did not use their AAL for very long, didn't like the ride. Instead we put on OME-36 rear springs and WAR-153 shackles..

If we were to do it all over, and go for the lift we have now.. I'd go with Duff brackets (no problems with them), Extended Arms, f-250 front mounts with long shocks and some good rear springs (never tried the 63" chevy, so I can't say how well they work).. I also can't comment on how their 5.5" front springs are, but I know I like the 3.5" ones, but the XJ ones are really soft.

~Mark

I think I'm in the middle as to what I think of the Duff kit/company

For a small lift (2.5") It was great.. It flexed well, rode well (I loved the front springs from their small lift).. We did add the f-150 spring seats to the front to get a little more lift over time..

I did manage to bend a bracket the 1st year we had it (got the tie rod lock nut into the bracket). They sent me a new bracket for free, and put a pic of our X in their catalog (this was circa 2001)..

Over time, we wore out the springs (close to 200k miles on them). We bought a set of springs (a little taller, for the 3.5" lift) and managed to break one somewhat early (less than a year).. They didn't offer to replace it, so I just bought another set.. (not happy about that)..

I have since added f-150 shock mounts and are now using 12" travel rs9000xl shocks up front. The longer shocks now means the short Radius Arms are our limiting factor. I have a set extended arms (not Duff) I need to install..

As for the rear, we did not use their AAL for very long, didn't like the ride. Instead we put on OME-36 rear springs and WAR-153 shackles..

If we were to do it all over, and go for the lift we have now.. I'd go with Duff brackets (no problems with them), Extended Arms, f-250 front mounts with long shocks and some good rear springs (never tried the 63" chevy, so I can't say how well they work).. I also can't comment on how their 5.5" front springs are, but I know I like the 3.5" ones, but the XJ ones are really soft.

~Mark

Mark what application are the OME--36 rear springs off of? Thanks!!:salute:

According to Old Man Emu (aka ARB USA), they said 1996, but basically, they only carry one set for the Explorer, which works on the 1st gen and 2nd gen.

the OME-36 is the very old part number.. it has changed since then. Also, its a 2" lift spring, so you don't want it with the larger duff kit, but it worked very well with the Duff 2.5" when I added the warrior 153 shackles.

~Mark

On the rear end do you think it would be fine to install warrior shackles and do a SOA? Wonder how much lift it would give me?

Also with my shocks needing replace soon, Would it be fine if I just went ahead and got 2-3" lift shocks before I do the lift?

Why I'm asking is my rear spring perches I think that's what they are called, The mount on the frame attached to the back of the leafs are rather rusted. That's why I would like to put on the shackles. It rides really rough so I do need shocks also.

I don't think it would hurt anything running the lift shocks, Just added travel that won't get much use until the lift gets installed.

Also with my shocks needing replace soon, Would it be fine if I just went ahead and got 2-3" lift shocks before I do the lift?

I don't think it would hurt anything running the lift shocks, Just added travel that won't get much use until the lift gets installed.

The problem with running the longer shock is the the body and shaft is longer and you can the risk of bottoming out the shock and bending the shaft.

i would wait to install the shocks until you get the lift decided on and installed.

i run the JD ra arms now with a 5.5 superlift and love the setup.jd arms seems to be the choice when running longer arms,i love them(thanks 90ranajo:D) i also will be running there dual shock set up soon.i haven't heard to many bad this about anything jd makes :salute:

The problem with running the longer shock is the the body and shaft is longer and you can the risk of bottoming out the shock and bending the shaft.

i would wait to install the shocks until you get the lift decided on and installed.

ok thanks, I'll most likely get some cheap monroe shocks or something soon. They would only be used for about a year or so until the lift is put on.

I'm thinking of removing my mud flaps and stock running boards this week sometime. The running boards seem to do more harm then good. It would just upset my aunt when she would need help getting into it :p:

I should be able to have my rust repairs done by December. It will most likely just be some new skins and black primer until sometime next spring or summer. We have the paint but I want under the hood and engine compartment painted black also. Should be working by then so I'd be able to get my motor rebuilt and borrow my mothers car until it's completed. :)

Back