Questions on brake rotors, bearings, and matched bearing races | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Questions on brake rotors, bearings, and matched bearing races

RangerX

Elite Ranger
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Omao, Kauai
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT 4X4
So I just bought new rotors for my Ranger for the first time. I while back, I got some Timken bearings to have on hand for when I do the rotors.
I got the rotors from Brakeperformance.com based on comments I found in other threads about their quality etc vs parts store rotors.
Looking over these new rotors, I see they have bearing races in them already, both inner and outer. I look closer and think maybe they they aren't pressed in, but actually cast as all one piece!
I call the company, they check and verify it's cast as all one piece, bearings and rotor.
Crap! So much for my plan of keeping my Timken bearings matched with their races!

Looking for thoughts and opinions on this. How big or small of a deal is it? Is bearing and race matching a '60's or '70's mentality, and not valid anymore?
Do all or most new rotors come this way?
Thanks for any insight.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IMHO your over thinking it.....
I have always used whatever was on the rotors.

Not a big deal at all. The only other set of rotors I have got for a ford were the cheapest ones the local part store had, and they had the races in as well. Even with stock rotors, I dont usually change the races, but I do inspect them good.

Hmm, okay I guess. It just seems to me that the metal they use to cast the rotor wouldn't be the same quality or hardness that a race is made from.

Another thing, these rotors came coated with "a proprietary black electrostatically-applied rust-preventative coating on all of the rotor’s non-friction surfaces, ideal for vehicles that have brake rotor rusting issues."
So the bearing races are coated with this. That also doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Thoughts on that?

Never seen that before...Got a pic?

Looking over these new rotors, I see they have bearing races in them already, both inner and outer. I look closer and think maybe they they aren't pressed in, but actually cast as all one piece!
Are you certain? I seem to recall thinking the same thing, until I decided to try tapping the races out with a hammer and a punch, and they came out. Perhaps it depends on the rotor manufacturer, I don't know, but I'm almost certain that I recall changing the races out of my Explorer's rotors at least once.

I wouldn't want a cast race. I'd doubt it's hardness vs an actual stand alone race. And the fact that it's painted over brings the quality into question IMO.

I've always used the races that came with rotors, but they've always been pressed in, not cast.

I wouldn't worry so much about matching them.

You mean the races are actually CASTED into the rotor, as in cast iron? I've never even heard of this before. I just bought a set from brakeperformance, and while not the painted ones, they came with actual races. I would try and pound them out. There is no way they expect cast iron to last as a bearing surface. I would at least send an email and complain about the paint inside the rotor, you might even get a discount.

I also have never seen Races that are actually cast as part of the rotor.... Every explorer rotor I've seen has a race pressed in, although they can be in there pretty tight..

However, as for using the Timken Bearing and a race other than what came in the set 37 bearing kit, I don't see that as a problem as long as the race is new.

It isn't like the Timken Race is matched to that bearing... It's more that this is a new race that isn't worn with a new bearing.. That is the goal...

When you change bearings you want to put in a new race because the old race is worn...

You do still have to think of quality though.. Not all Bearings/Races are made equal and Timken bearings are on the better side of the scale...

~Mark

I'm going to call again on Monday, and ask again if they are cast in or pressed in.
Here's a pic showing the coating covering the race.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 239

I just bought a set from brakeperformance, and while not the painted ones, they came with actual races.

Did you get rotors for your 94, or some other vehicle?

I learned the hard way to match bearings and races whenever possible. Have had cheaper rotors with crummy races that started to pit and destroyed my new bearings. Lacking a press to remove the pressed-in races, I've had better luck just buying good quality rotors and installing new bearings at the same time.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to do - buy quality rotors to avoid problems.
I read up on rotors on this site, saw that most all rotors are now made in China and are prone to warping, and these are what you get in the parts stores.
I then when to the only two parts stores on this island, Napa and Oreillys, and both only carried Chinese made rotors. I had them pull the part and I looked on the box.
So I saw that brake performance sells US made rotors, and they are in SoCal. When I called and asked if they make their own rotors, I was told no they don't, but they source from US, Canada, and Europe only. No Chinese.
I did not think to ask if the races are cast in. I never heard of that. I knew sometimes rotors come with bearings pressed in.
I will call back and try to speak with a 'tech' person there. When I called last week, the sales person I asked did say she believes that they are cast in, and put me on hold to go double check. Can back on and confirmed that yes they are cast.
I will update what I learn after I call again, but I do appreciate everyone's info on this.

There are two quality of rotors at NAPA and probably O'Reilly's. I'm pretty sure they carry the same brand.
As consumers have become 'cheap patrons' (only concerned about price) most stores have gone to stocking the value line rotors.

These rotors from NAPA should be made in the Americas. Use to be Canada primarily, don't know anymore. Any rate, they aren't China. China rotors almost always come bagged and oiled.

http://m.napaonline.com/parts/PartsDetail.aspx?k=UBP85865_0129733749
or
http://m.napaonline.com/parts/PartsDetail.aspx?k=UBP86416_0205560582
depending on the axle.
If you want a premium rotor, these are it. OE or better, non-performance speaking.

http://s7d9.scene7.com/is/content/GenuinePartsCompany/1441290pdf?$PDF$

I can clearly see in that pic that the races ARE pressed in.

Just grab the ol' brass punch and bang em out.

There is no such thing as a cast bearing race.. .. (show me one example and I'll eat my hat)

Yeah, but why bother pressing in new races if you are going to paint over them? It also appears the coating is all over inside the hub. Won't that stuff end up contaminating the grease? I purchased slotted and dimpled rotors from them, and they are holding up fine. However, they are for my D44 so they don't have hubs.

They put the races in there so the coating won't get on the race seats. You are supposed to knock out the scab races and use new ones.

Same as powder coat. if you coated it with no bearings in it you would not be able to get the races in due to the build up of material where the races go.

I have ceramic coated front rotors that came the same way.

The ceramic was applied with the races in place.

The little red tag on them said "bearing races must be replaced with new races before use. The ceramic was applied with the races in place to protect the seats"

Manufacturer was Bosch.

They put the races in there so the coating won't get on the race seats. You are supposed to knock out the scab races and use new ones.

Same as powder coat. if you coated it with no bearings in it you would not be able to get the races in due to the build up of material where the races go.

The ultra premium NAPA rotors come painted as well, except the races aren't painted.
'Ready to install right out of the box.' <-- that's a premium rotor.

Painting or coating the races and expecting the consumer or shop to waste time replacing them is called cutting corners in your manufacturing process.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just called the conpany again and was told the races are not cast in, and was pretty surprised I was told that. So I'll be tapping those out and putting in the ones I have.

Back