• Register Today It's free!

Questions on buying a 2013 PIU

Nleonard7

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Civic Ex
Hey everyone, new to the forum but I’ve been reading a lot of threads.

I’m looking at a 2013 PIU for sale with 96k miles on it. I want to go take a look but it’s currently 2.5 hours away so I want to do my due diligence first. I’ve read about the water pump and PTU issues, is there anyway to check on those without service records? The dealer said he would try to contact the municipality that it came from but I’m not holding my breath. Are there any other common issues or things I should be looking for when I do go take a look at it? All in he said it would be around $12k, is that fair for the year and mileage? I’m a little mechanically inclined but would definitely bring someone more knowledgeable than me, and the dealer offered to let me use their lift to take a look underneath.
Some other minor things, has anyone had experience adding a center console and aux input to theirs?

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
There is a problem with some Explorer with the leading edge of the aluminum hood bubbling. Not a mechanical issue though. Hood Paint bubble issue only
There are existing threads as well on adding the center console and wiring.
Good luck.

Peter

check for idle hours time, it could be a low mileage vehicle but high on idle, the math for ford is 1 idle hour = 33 driven miles, so multiply the idle hours x 33 and add it to the 96k miles already in the vehicle to have a real idea of the miles on the engine, also ask if water pump has been replaced, that is very costly if it fails, ask if the vehicle come with sync or not, check if the AC works properly, mine was blowing cold air trough the defrost vents only, take with you a OBD scan reader, SOME DEALERS ARE SNEAKY and will erase codes that will pop up a month (or less) later, good luck
BTW i bought mine a 2016 3.7 with 90000k for $13.500

Good information since I recently purchased a 2013 with 110k miles.

Back