Questions on Explorer ECU and tuning it for application... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Questions on Explorer ECU and tuning it for application...

ranger7ltr

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Great State of Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Sport
Ok so I have an Explorer v8 that I want to install into a 2001 Mustang with a dead v6...I also have the Explorer ECU and most of the wiring harness for the Explorer...What I would like to do is install a manual trans in the Mustang so I need to know...

1. If the Pats function in the Explorer ECU can be turned off
2. If the auto trans function can be turned off in the Explorer ECU.
3. Can the Explorer ECU be renamed for the vehicle I want to install it in...

Obviously I want to keep the EEC-V functions for engine control and emission since I live in a state that requires inspection and no CEL to pass but can't use the Mustang ECU since it is for a v6...I got the car cheap and the v6 is seized and I have the v8 just waiting for a new home...

Thanks all for any ideas...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1. If the Pats function in the Explorer ECU can be turned off
2. If the auto trans function can be turned off in the Explorer ECU.
3. Can the Explorer ECU be renamed for the vehicle I want to install it in...

You do not say which year Explorer V8 you have. PATS was installed from '98 on. Yes, PATS can be turned off but will require a 'custom tune'. Searched extensively for that done on the cheap without success. Best price I found was $250. For $400 you can buy a reflash device and turn off PATS and have lots of other control over your engine/transmission.

The PCM is simply a computer with flash storage associated. It can be configured for anything that Ford produced in that era.

'Renamed'? The software can be loaded with the VIN if that is what you mean. The 'Strategy' that Ford left in the PCM will be loaded into the reflash device available for reloading. A new custom strategy will be loaded.

Did all that come across OK. If not, you might want to talk to James Hinson, the resident 'tuning' 'spert.

Details, details...

The Explorer ECU I have I believe is from 2001 MY...I have wiring diagrams from 95-01 Explorer so I need to print them out and see if the V8 is feasible...If the Explorer ECU I have is older; say 1996; did the Explorer that year also use the 4R70W automatic? This car has one and I may use it initially but will switch to a manual and clutch at some point...

I also asked 2000StreetRod about this and he also suggested a tuning device...Something I should have invested in years ago for doing things like this...Apparently I can reflash the Explorer ECU to a Mustang in the custom tune is that correct???

Thanks for your info... I will look up Jim and get his thoughts on my project...

You might want to look through this post on the subject:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=364540

You don't identify the MY of the engine but the 4R70W was used throughout this series of Explorers but there were harness changes between '97 and '98 that will have to be addressed. There was also fuel pressure, injector and Cam Position Sensor changes at the same time that complicate the swap. All that is covered in the above referenced thread.

I believe there are outstanding issues related to the transmission that have not been definitively solved. They are associated with the '98 change to the Digital Range Sensor that did not exist on the earlier units. Perhaps all that is required is to bolt on the sensor which is outside . . . perhaps not.

55OriginalTransmissionConnectorLocation.jpg

If you clearly resolve this how about posting it to the above thread.

Gauge cluster

A significant problem will be getting the digital Mustang gauge cluster to work with the Explorer PCM that normally interfaces to an analog instrument cluster. According to the Mustang PCM pinout there are no signals for the MIL, fuel level, ECT, tachometer, or transmission control indicator lamp. I suspect those indicators receive information via the SCP data bus. I doubt that you'll find anyone capable of programming the Explorer PCM to support the Mustang digital cluster. Also, the gauge cluster has the vehicle ID for PATS which must match the ignition key and PCM. I guess you could purchase aftermarket analog gauges and mount them in various visible locations. Utilizing the Explorer engine and transmission wiring will reduce the amount of rewiring required but it is unlikely the engine to chassis electrical connectors will be physically compatible. You will need a PowerFlash or equivalent to turn off PATS and an X3 costs $379 new or $200 or more used. If you only have the Explorer drivetrain and PCM then it is a nonfunctional system that can't be reflashed without access to special equipment. I don't know how much work will be needed for motor and transmission mounts, exhaust, intake reconfiguration.

Frankly, I think the project will take more time and cost more than if you just replaced the seized 3.8L with a cluster, ignition switch & keys, PCM and 4.6L from a GT donor. However, it would be an interesting and challenging project if you have plenty of time and money.

Back