Questions regarding heater hoses.

Georgia_Birdman

Reaction score
City, State
Marietta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I have a couple of questions.

1. Which of the two hoses is the heater inlet hose? I am installing a prestone back-flush tee, and it needs to be on the inlet hose.

2. My heater control valve is not where I have seen in before on other similar vehicles (near the firewall). It is down close to the water pump. Is this the proper place for this valve?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The water control valve as it is called in the workshop manual. The top hose going to the front of the vehicle goes to the water pump (cold), and the bottom hose goes to the intake manifold (hot).
From the heater core outlet, the right hose goes to the top of the valve, and the left hose goes to the bottom .

The water control valve sits up by the firewall.

As far as flushing the heater core, I would flush both direction real good, take both hoses off the water control valve and run a length of hose off the heater core down to a pail, in one hose, out the other, and vise versa.

Ummm...on the 1998 SOHC engine, the water control valve is indeed located down low on the passenger side near the water pump. Most easily seen/accessed by removing the alternator & alternator mtg bracket.

It might help if Georgia mentioned which engine this is. Being an Eddie Bauer, I'd guess 5.0L V8.

Ummm...on the 1998 SOHC engine, the water control valve is indeed located down low on the passenger side near the water pump. Most easily seen/accessed by removing the alternator & alternator mtg bracket.

If this is the case, then it is in the heater return hose. Isn't it unusual for the control valve to be in the return hose?

I put in the T-adapter. From the pics, can you tell if it is in the right place?

DSCF1186.JPG

i'd say you're good to go!

Back