Questions with a RCD Suspension lift??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Questions with a RCD Suspension lift???

Praetorian46

Reaction score
City, State
Yuma, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
Hello I'm still looking for the right suspension lift for my truck and after getting allot of help from you guys here. I think I decided on the RCD 5" Suspension System Kit #10-42498. I just have a couple questions about this lift.

1. The page says "System Designed to work with manual or electronic front hubs. System will not work with pulse vacuum hub equipped vehicles." Does the
1996 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0 V8 AWD have the right hub for this lift?

2. This lift was made for a Ford Ranger. And the largest Engine in a Ranger is a 4.0 V6 which weighs less than my 5.0 V8. So how much will this 5" lift really do? 4.5"??

3. And I was told that a SOA in the back is the best way to go and that I can use the shocks that come with this lift along with the SOA for the rear of the Explorer. Will this lift be higher in the front than the SOA is in the back?? And if not is it ok to put a Spacer on top of the coil over to reach my desired height?

4. Do you guys recommend any distributor to by this lift from because RCD’s Distributors page is not completely put together yet?

Those are the questions I have. It would be greatly appreciated if can get some help on these 4 things. Thank you very much for your time.
-Cody

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1. The page says "System Designed to work with manual or electronic front hubs. System will not work with pulse vacuum hub equipped vehicles." Does the
1996 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0 V8 AWD have the right hub for this

You will be fine.

Hey thanks for the info Dan!
-Cody

3. And I was told that a SOA in the back is the best way to go and that I can use the shocks that come with this lift along with the SOA for the rear of the Explorer. Will this lift be higher in the front than the SOA is in the back?? And if not is it ok to put a Spacer on top of the coil over to reach my desired height?

I did the SOA in the back and I ended up using my stock shocks. The ranger ones were way too long. I did not add a leaf spring and my 4 door was sitting almost perfectly level. Hope this helps! I also kicked my rear sway bar to the curb. Probably time to change my rear shocks since I have over 100,000 miles on the stock ones. Thanks for the reminder. Good Luck!

Thank you adarkang. I already have the same rims that you have and I’m going to put some 33X12.5s on as soon as I get my lift done. I hope you don't think I’m trying to copy you or anything... Anyway did you need the 2" BL to fit the 33s? And you said...
I did not add a leaf spring and my 4 door was sitting almost perfectly level.
Was it a little high in the front or the back? So I know if I’m going to need a spacer on top of my coil over to compensate for my 5.0 V8 (If I can add a spacer. I'm still waiting on that reply.) Because my desired look is having the front just a bit higher than the back. Oh... and BTW that’s one Great looking truck you've got there!
Thanks a bunch!
-Cody

Well by almost I mean it sits maybe 1/4" higher in the back. I am thinking of upgrading to some higher load coil springs in the front. BoominXplorer did this. He has a V8 I believe and he said it gave him an extra 1"-1.5" (I believe).
Check out this thread, it may help you out.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184133

As for my 2" body lift, I still rub with my 33" tires when off road!!!! Then again, I have an eddie bauer so all the side skirts and running boards are hanging low. I took them off, but the truck looked way TOO goofy to me.

get ahold of boomin, he has alot of exp. witht the RCD kit

Awesome! All of my questions have been answered and I feel I'm ready to buy the lifts and those springs that Boomin found. I just had one more question... Ok I have some rancho shocks in the back. I here that rancho's kind of suck and adarkang you said that the ranger shocks were too long. So should I buy some new shocks for the rear of my truck? And if so which shocks should I get??
Again I want to thank all of you for your help!
-Cody

Well as far as shocks for the rear, my shocks have been blown out in the rear for the past 5,000 miles and it really didnt bother me too much. I ended up buying some Pro Comp ES9000's yesterday. I am hoping to get them on soon, but I need to reweld some lower shock mounts since I did not angle my current shock mounts enough (the bolt is sitting crooked, so the bushing is getting crushed on one side). I am pretty sure these will drastically improve my current ride since I do have quite a bit of roll in the rear of the truck.

Boomin did end up replacing the springs up front with a pair of Eibach 750# springs, because the front end did end up sagging about an inch.

Adarkang,
Ok I found those shocks you mentioned....
I ended up buying some Pro Comp ES9000's yesterday.
I only need the rear ones right? And you said...
I need to reweld some lower shock mounts since I did not angle my current shock mounts enough (the bolt is sitting crooked, so the bushing is getting crushed on one side).
Will I need to get my shock mounts angled as well... or does that have something to do with you BL or AAL??? I want to get all of the info I can before getting this thing installed.
Thanks,
-Cody

I ditched my rear sway bar and used brackets to run stock sized shocks perfectly.

I ditched my rear sway bar and used brackets to run stock sized shocks perfectly.
Ok. Is that why adarkang needed to do some welding? And how much body roll do you gain or Lose from 86ing the sway bar and putting on those shocks?? And what shocks did you use after dumping the sway bar?

A lot of people use a bolt through the current sway bar mounts for the lower shock mount. If I was to do it all over, that's probably what I would have done. The body roll is not that bad, but if you are planning on fish-tailing your rear end, be CAREFUL. As far as the angle my mounts are at, you can probably ignore that, the way I mounted them is probably incorrect since at full articulation they pinch the bushing even more.

Ok cool! I think I have all the info I need to get this thing installed. I want to thank all of you so much for your help; it was great. I'll be sure to post some pics of my X after I get the lift on my truck. If I run into any problems I'll be back on here begging and pleading for help. :) Again thanks guys.
-Cody

Back