quick ? about fog light wiring | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

quick ? about fog light wiring

I did the parking light fog light mod on my 95x. I have a second set of fogs that I have wired to the battery right now. I was wondering if I can hook the + wire for the fogs to my fog light relay. I don't think that this should put an over load on the relay. Any advice?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

use a splice off the factory fog to signal the aftermarket relay? that is fine.

Hey Alec, I am a little confused. Lemme try to help you try to help me. Basically what I want to know is if I can use the stock fog lamp relay to wire my new fog lights into and have my stock and aftermarket fogs run off that one stock relay, all in the same time having the stock fog lamp relay get power from my parking lights. I hope this helps. As always thanks for your help.

If the question is: Can the stock relay operate both the stock fogs and the pilots? The answer is probably for a while. I would think Ford didnt oversize the relay in anticapation of additional lights. So it wont last long.
If you do as Alec suggested and use the stock relay to power the relay for the Pilot lights you will have no problems. Not useing a relay in any light application is asking for trouble and you usually dont get all the light that a light set is capable of without a relay.

Definately wire the new lamps with their own power source and own relay. You can do as I suggested and use the stock wiring as a switch, or install a separate switch and run the new ones totally independent. Do not try to run the new fogs off the old wiring (for power or relay).

Good luck!

Back