Quick and cheap workbench with storage shelves | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

Quick and cheap workbench with storage shelves

A small tool purchase turned into a whole new workbench and storage shelves. I had a small refrigerator that was wasting space, as well and the workbench that was there, was built by my step-dad in ~1984. So, after doing some measuring, I headed to Home Depot for some my supplies and went for it.

I made each shelf and the workbench top as frames, that mounted to the wall, and then legs on the outside to level them out. It definitely strong enough for what I'll be using them for. My garage isn't drywalled at all so it was easy to use the studs to mount the frames to.

I made my cuts, Pre-drilled all of the holes and then used 3" screws to secure them. It took me about 5 hours by myself. Without really having woodworking knowledge or skills, I didn't think that was too bad. I'm really happy with how it came out.

I planned to take down the pegboard and use new pieces, but my plans worked out to use what was already there. Saved me a lot of time and a few bucks.

I got a small 2' LED light from amazon with a switch. I lengthened the wires, so I could mount it wherever I wanted it.

IMG_5291.jpg

IMG_5298.jpg

IMG_5377.jpg

IMG_5420.jpg

IMG_5340.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

RangerX

Elite Ranger
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Omao, Kauai
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT 4X4
Looks great, Colin. What was the small tool purchase that set this all in motion?

FROADER

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Eddie
Thanks Bill,

It was a set of craftsman t handle allen wrenches... You can see them hanging on the right side of the peg board under the round clock.

t-handles.jpg

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
A nice addition to this is to buy plastic drawers to mount under the plywood to give you extra storage space. The drawers come with the mounting sleeve. You could find them for around $10 to $15 in Staples or a hardware store.

Larryjb

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Explorer
Looks nice and organized. If that were my shop, the bench would be covered with unfinished projects by the third day. I'd also need to find places for a set of SAE wrenches, metric wrenches, SAE ratchet wrenches, metric ratchet wrenches, 3 torque wrenches, ......

I have too much junk.

toypaseo

Flunked daycare
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
outside shovelling snow
Year, Model & Trim Level
................ 96 XLT ™
Maybe consider putting another layer of plywood on top of the actual work surface. That way, if it gets damaged or whatnot, you can easily unscrew it, and put a new one down :dunno:

FROADER

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Eddie
A nice addition to this is to buy plastic drawers to mount under the plywood to give you extra storage space. The drawers come with the mounting sleeve. You could find them for around $10 to $15 in Staples or a hardware store.
That's a good idea, and if I need the space I'll probably go that route.

Looks nice and organized. If that were my shop, the bench would be covered with unfinished projects by the third day. I'd also need to find places for a set of SAE wrenches, metric wrenches, SAE ratchet wrenches, metric ratchet wrenches, 3 torque wrenches, ......

I have too much junk.
The projects I have don't usually fit on my bench, so the rest of the garage is the mess! I totally get it, though.

Maybe consider putting another layer of plywood on top of the actual work surface. That way, if it gets damaged or whatnot, you can easily unscrew it, and put a new one down :dunno:
Another good idea, but I don't really do much heavy "work" on the bench to need that layer. If anything I can do the same with the current piece if it gets thrashed.

My old bench was a bench of 2x6 pieces that was built by my step-dad in ~1984 and it lasted until now without issues, and this one is 3/4 ply, so hopefully it will last a while.