Quick answer... please! installing headunit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Quick answer... please! installing headunit

Buffalosports

Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport - 4WD
Ok I got my headunit from crutchfield and they sent me a wiring harness. However none of the spots in the back of my reciever fit that harness. The reciever came with a harness that connects. So my question is, do you connect all the wires from the exsisting wiring and tape off the others? There are more wires in the truck then on the new harness.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is the harness thay sent you to bypass the factory amp that is located behind the right rear interior panel?

I don't believe they used the seperate amp in '98. Your stock HU should have a built in amp.

There should be two grey or black harness plugs that plug into the back of the stock HU. These plugs are where the harness they sent you (if it is the correct one) should plug into. Then you connect the harness supplied with the new HU to the one Crutchfield sent you.

This way you don't have to cut up your factory harness.

There is no amp that I know of. Do I cut the exsisting wires and then match them to the colors on the new harness? With the left over wires, do I just tape them off and put them inside?

Is the harness thay sent you to bypass the factory amp that is located behind the right rear interior panel?

I don't believe they used the seperate amp in '98. Your stock HU should have a built in amp.

There should be two grey or black harness plugs that plug into the back of the stock HU. These plugs are where the harness they sent you (if it is the correct one) should plug into. Then you connect the harness supplied with the new HU to the one Crutchfield sent you.

This way you don't have to cut up your factory harness.

Ok that makes sense, but there are two harness on the stock wiring. Is one not going to be used?

One will be for speakers only. The new HU harness and the one Crutchfield sent should all color coordinate.

The other one will be for ground (black), postive (red), constant power (orange or yellow), power antena if equiped (blue), Just tape off the ones from the new HU that you don't need.

One will be for speakers only. The new HU harness and the one Crutchfield sent should all color coordinate.

The other one will be for ground (black), postive (red), constant power (orange or yellow), power antena if equiped (blue), Just tape off the ones from the new HU that you don't need.

I understand that part. However, there where two harness that came off the stock headunit. One fits the harness that crutchfield sent (rectanular shaped) and the other is sqaure instead of rectangular. Is the square one not used?

BTW, thanks for all the help.

The square one may not be used. I recently put a new HU in a '97 Cougar I have. I bought a harness local and it had a rectangular & square end for the power wire cluster. I just cut it off because there was not enough room behind the HU for it with me having three sets of RCA cables for my amps and an ipod & usb connections.

Talk about a rats nest:eek:

Yup the square one isnt used. Got it all workin.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back