Quick exhaust questions

94_X

Reaction score
City, State
Northern Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mercury Mountaineer
Long time lurker, second time poster...

I have a 02 Mounty 4.0 & I'm looking to put an new exhaust on it. I have been looking for a bit now, and I think I've watched every youtube video that contained the ass-end of an explorer.

I know that this has been mentioned a bit, but:

I know it's not a v8, but what is the closest setup without the super-rice tone? From what I've heard Magnaflow seems to give a lower tone than Flowmaster. Any thoughts?

Also: Has anyone run this setup? If so, how does it sound?

Exhaust catback aluminized kit from Explorer Express

I'm new to exhaust systems, so go easy. ( And I did search into this, just looking for clarification )

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got dual 40 series flowmasters on my 01 sport and i love it. It sounds real loud and deep. I got the 4.0 sohc engine as well.

i would look into stainless steel... wont rot etc...

i have heard that MACs are pretty loud.. lets say, if your driving with your wife in the car, would the MAC exhaust be too loud ?

thats a hard quesion to answer...

it would really depend on what your GF / WIFE / significant other, noise tolerance is...

i would say mac will be loud by anymeans... great rumble n roar !!!

if you want a performance exhaust, but a quiet one... i would say flowmaster 70 series...

yup personally my wife doesnt seem to care one way or another. Click my exhaust link and check out some other vids on my name like cruising in my X it will give you a good idea of the drone on slight acceleration. Definately love it personally lol sometimes ill turn my radio off and just listen to my exhaust while i drive ^_^ thats me tho lol if you do want quieter id go with caldwells suggestion a 70 series. either that or a hushpower muffler.

View My Video

theres a video of my exhaust...i have a 2002 sport its got the SOHC 4.0 like you have

its a flowmaster super 40

my flowmaster 50 Suv series is too loud for my gilfriend if that helps any. Not sure if you were considering it, but that's my opinion.

Just put up a new thread with my exhaust clip bro, its right in the same area where you made this thread.

I got flowmaster 40 , but i have the v8, not v6.....but a v6 wont sound much different still.

Id go with flowmaster, they always sound good and solid, and it sounds damn good on the v6.

dont get me wrong i like flowmasters i really do i just think Mac really gives you more grunt for your buck :)

Thanks for all your input. I don't think that the gf cares about the noise too much, but hey shes got her own car right? ;)

Anyways... based on youtube videos & my wallet, I think I'm going to try the super 40 flow w/ stock piping.

I'm gonna try to get around to it soon, but with snow melting the driveway is too wet, and I can't get a hoist for about a week or so.

I'll get pictures & sound clips when done, and again thanks! :thumbsup:

super 40 is a great choice...

i will bet that at some point down the road, you will want to make your exhaust larger... for the price of the muffler then install... you might want to just hold off on having it done, because if you save a lil more you could get a full cat back by a custom shop

just my .02

cant wait to hear it

honestly i have to agree with caldwell so many ppl just make it easier and sound alot better and perform better by getting a full catback.

my exhaust has 2.25" piping even i asked and wanted 2.5"

im pretty sure 2.25" is stock size

but mine is a cat-back with duel out with 3.5" tips...

it really isnt that loud and it doesnt drone bad at all... but it really sounds good if you give it a kick in the ass

94 X i think you will be really happy with the flowmaster super 40

wow 3 1/2 inch tips thats huge

i got dual 2 1/2 inch tips with the 40 series flowmasters on my 01 sport.

i have 3 1/2 in tips after 3" out pipe on my Mac lol

Back