• Register Today It's free!

Quick Question: Amp on Box OK?

ap81590

Reaction score
City, State
North Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
Ok so I'm going to try and put my system in this weekend. I want to be able to take out the system when needed for cargo room. Heres the question: What are your opinions on mounting the amp on the sub box? I've heard its not good but I've heard its fine. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It will be ok.

If you are going to be removing the box often, mount the amp some where else, like on the back of the seat or on the side panel, because if you mount the amp on the box, you have to disconnect the 12v source, your ground, and your remote wires. If you mount it on the seat all you have to do is disconnect you speaker wires from your amp or perferably your box and your good to go. You also have to keep in mind if your box is top heavy or not. If your box is top heavy, its going to fall over towards the back when you step on the gas. You are going to want to put an L bracket on the back so you dont distroy your subs. Ive been doing custon audio installations for 4 years now, so dont think what im telling you is not true. I have seen subwoofer cones ripped from there surounds when a box falls over so be careful. And to answer your question about vibration to the amp, it truely depends on your construction of the box and the thickness of it. If your box is built well it shouldnt cave in and out on hits but if it does, DONT MOUNT THE AMP ON IT!

IMO, I would not due to vibrations from the bass. I see no reason to vibrate it to death when that could be avoided.

Ok well I don't wanna leave the amp on the back of the seat because i want to have alllll the cargo room when I put the seats down. So other than the top of the box I guess all else I could do is to put it on the ground but then again I want it to look clean. Any other ideas or suggestions? By the way, the box was custom made by a box builder so I don't think sturdiness is an issue. Also I don't wanna totally hide the amp because it has blue LEDS that will be cool to see.

Could you maybe fabricate a little bit and get it into the extra storage space in the corner rear of the explorer?

it isn't a huge deal.

have yet to see an amp actually break from this- although it does seem like a good idea to avoid rattling them a whole ton.

Well. I had six twelves in my explorer with three amps and a cap stuck on the box and they did fine for over a year before they got stolen.

yeah, and if i put my amps anywhere in my truck they'd vibrate as much as your old system... and yet they still haven't broken mounted to the amp rack which is mounted to the back of my box (albeit seperated from the main enclosure by 2.25" of mdf and 1/4" of steel)

I have my amp mounted to the box with no problems for about 3 years. You may want to mount the amp to your box on all four corners of the amp using standoffs to minimized the amount of vibration the amp will feel (mdf does flex).

I ran a 1000W Kicker amp & cap mounted on the back of a box with 2 JL 12's for 5 years. Never had a problem.

I thought about putting it in the rear cargo area but thats the opposite side of the battery and i dont know if my wire is long enough. I guess I'll mount it on the box considering a guy with 6 12"s LCPL DOZIER and the audio guru expo5.0 dont think its a problem. Thanks guys.

I too made my ssub box able to be removed easily. I mounted my amp under my frontpassenger seat. I ran speaker wire from that to a 1/4" jack mounted on the rear right inside quarter panel. I also built my own stealbox and when the big sub box is removed, the stealthbox kicks in automatically. Same circuit as a headphone jack.

Thats pretty high tech. I couldnt put mine under the seat cause I have power seats and Ive already squished a portable dvd player to death.

Back