Quick Question Post | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Afrojoe

Reaction score
City, State
Ringgold, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer XL 4WD
Hey guys I've briefly done some search on this topic, but I'm not finding any posts with direct answers. So. I believe I've got a valve cover leak and plan to fix that coming soon and would like to make sure it doesn't leak again anytime soon. I don't have the valve cover torque spreaders, are they necessary for a leak free install and where can I find them? The gasket I plan to buy is this one
http://m.advanceautoparts.com/p/felpro-valve-cover-gasket-set-vs-50368-t/19783648-P
Is this recommended or is there a better one I should get? I'm just trying to make sure they don't leak again for a bit so if I need the spreaders I'd rather get them before I replace the gasket rather than later. I'll likely be painting the covers as well so if there's any tips on that it'll greatly be appreciated.
PS. Is there any adjustment in valve timing? I believe there's a crank sensor that dictates timing but it never hurts to ask. I've just recently got a bit more clatter but it may just me my lifters and I'm listening to closely again.

If you have steel valve covers, the spreaders do what their name implies. They spread the pressure created by the valve cover bolts over a larger area, which makes them less likely to leak. W/out the spreaders it's easy to over-tighten the valve cover bolts, bending the valve cover, which will make it leak even with new gaskets.

I don't know if the overhead valve 4.0 (I assume that's what you have) valve covers originally had spreaders but they're a good idea. Most auto parts stores (or Summit Racing) might be a good source for aftermarket spreaders. Otherwise check the salvage yard.

Here's an example of some aftermarket spreaders:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-Valv...ash=item36094b6087:g:Xh0AAOSwrklVYSQI&vxp=mtr

Note that the shape of the 4.0 valve covers may prevent the use of spreaders.

I appreciate the info Koda2000. I think I'll try to pick up some spreaders and worst case I return them.

Back