• Register Today It's free!

Quick Questions

Nunze

Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT 5.0L
I picked my X about a month ago,the previous owner has no knowledge of when or if the tranny fluid has ever been changed. i bought a filter kit but the guy at the auto parts store told me if i change the fluid ,the tranny might go. i have no problems with the tranny but the fluid smells a little burnt. looking for an opinion on what i should do.thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What color is the fluid? Is it still red or more like a brownish? Also how many miles are on the car?

What color is the fluid? Is it still red or more like a brownish? Also how many miles are on the car?

it looks like a combo of the 2 actually its like a dark red

You can always change it 3 or 4 quarts at a time until it is all new fluid.
Just unscrew the fitting on the line where the transmission fluid goes into the radiator, put some tubing over it and run it into a jug, have some one watch the jug and start the truck, when it fills to the level you'd like turn the truck off, reattach the line , and refill through the tranny dipstick the amount of fluid you pumped into the jug.
After 4 or 5 times of doing that it will be all fresh fluid.
( sorry for the run on sentence )

You can always change it 3 or 4 quarts at a time until it is all new fluid.
Just unscrew the fitting on the line where the transmission fluid goes into the radiator, put some tubing over it and run it into a jug, have some one watch the jug and start the truck, when it fills to the level you'd like turn the truck off, reattach the line , and refill through the tranny dipstick the amount of fluid you pumped into the jug.
After 4 or 5 times of doing that it will be all fresh fluid.
( sorry for the run on sentence )

thanks for the reply ,but i think if i'm going to change the fluid,i am going to change the filter too

I would drop the pan and replace the filter and then flush the ATF

Good luck ...

IMO since the fluid smells a little burnt and is brownish I would drop the pan and change the filter and refill the fluid lost. But I wouldn't recommend flushing it.

I have *heard* that changing transmission fluid in a high mileage transmission that hasn't had the fluid changed in a long time could cause the transmission to fail. The theory is that the friction material from the clutches has worn off of the clutches and is suspended in the fluid. The fact that this "dirty" fluid is in the transmission is the only reason it still works. If the fluid is replaced with fresh fluid, the clutches will slip because the friction material in the old fluid has been removed. This increased slipping will soon cause a transmission failure.

This is only what I have heard. Does anyone know for sure?

My Dad's car has around 110,000 miles on it and has never had the transmission fluid changed until a couple months ago. It now has a transmission problem/noise he wants me to look at...

:navajo:

I have *heard* that changing transmission fluid in a high mileage transmission that hasn't had the fluid changed in a long time could cause the transmission to fail. The theory is that the friction material from the clutches has worn off of the clutches and is suspended in the fluid. The fact that this "dirty" fluid is in the transmission is the only reason it still works. If the fluid is replaced with fresh fluid, the clutches will slip because the friction material in the old fluid has been removed. This increased slipping will soon cause a transmission failure.

This is only what I have heard. Does anyone know for sure?

My Dad's car has around 110,000 miles on it and has never had the transmission fluid changed until a couple months ago. It now has a transmission problem/noise he wants me to look at...

:navajo:

I am also interested in knowing the answer. I bought the car used and I have no idea how well it was taken care of.

I changed mine at 150,000 and have had no problems so far. I did not have it flushed though.

This is what I have heard about why it is bad to flush the ATF on high mileage vehicles. ATF is a solvent which degrades over time. Therefore when a vehicle has very old ATF in the transmission build ups start to occur because the solvent in the ATF has weakened. These build ups are usually in non harmful places which is why the vehicle will usually drive fine. Then if a lot of the ATF is changed at once all of this strong solvent in the fresh ATF frees up all of the build ups which have occurred over time. These build ups then usually clog passageways in the valvebody, causing problems. This is what I have heard, I don't know if it's true or not but it makes sense. This I why it is a bad idea to flush the ATF on cars with very old ATF. In cases like these it is usually a better idea to just drop the pan and change the fluid and filter.

This is what I have heard about why it is bad to flush the ATF on high mileage vehicles. ATF is a solvent which degrades over time. Therefore when a vehicle has very old ATF in the transmission build ups start to occur because the solvent in the ATF has weakened. These build ups are usually in non harmful places which is why the vehicle will usually drive fine. Then if a lot of the ATF is changed at once all of this strong solvent in the fresh ATF frees up all of the build ups which have occurred over time. These build ups then usually clog passageways in the valvebody, causing problems. This is what I have heard, I don't know if it's true or not but it makes sense. This I why it is a bad idea to flush the ATF on cars with very old ATF. In cases like these it is usually a better idea to just drop the pan and change the fluid and filter.

thats my plan,just to change out the old filter and drain the converter. my transmission runs fine right now,i'm more doing this for preventive maintenence. i hope to god i pull this pan down and don't find a bobber!

Back