quick release coupling of clutch cylinders | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

quick release coupling of clutch cylinders

Chirko

Reaction score
City, State
Enem, Adigeya
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 1991 Eddie Bauer
Hello. I apologize. This topic may have already been resolved. I have a 1991 Ford Explorer. I recently bought a clutch slave cylinder with a gold connector. My car has a stock line with a purple connector. I was glad when I received the slave cylinder. I installed the checkpoint and got in trouble. Connecting gold with purple is not possible. My question is if anyone has had a similar experience. Is it possible to modify the connection? I guess purple dad is a little more than golden mom. Is it so? If I peel off with some sandpaper? Also this is for those who will buy a slave cylinder or line. Keep in mind.
IMG_20201124_145021 — копия.jpg
IMG_20201124_145003.jpg
IMG_20201027_105420.jpg
IMG_20201123_121942.jpg
IMG_20201124_143711.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

😲 I would think it should fit without sanding going to be tough.

Chirco I like the green explorer btw green seems more rare

😲 I would think it should fit without sanding going to be tough.
I thought so too. I was 100% sure that gold and purple are good old friends. But...
I see a slightly different shape. Another angle . Is it so?
black con — копия.jpg
gold con .jpg

Hmm when u try and insert it should take a good amount of force and click in.... The ribs are all strait? Try lube... I hate these connections.

I had a green explorer 1st gen broken down... My mom drove past my house and called me..i swear she freaked out and was all like you own my green explorer....the only explorer I was going to buy she said back in the day green was like 1/10000 or more so she test drove the green one and even told the dealer Forrest green and just walked away regrets ever since till this day shes rich...still missing the green explorer.

Connection is probably bent/out of round any sanding it would probably leak.

I had a green explorer 1st gen broken down... My mom drove past my house and called me..i swear she freaked out and was all like you own my green explorer....the only explorer I was going to buy she said back in the day green was like 1/10000 or more so she test drove the green one and even told the dealer Forrest green and just walked away regrets ever since till this day shes rich...still missing the green explorer.
this is the color deep jewel green. Color Code - PA or M6414. And the bottom is pastel sandalwood - color code AY or M6333. This color changes in the sun and shade. It is metallic green in the sun. In the shade or in the twilight dark blue.
IMG_20191009_202049 — копия.jpg
IMG_20190913_104138 — копия.jpg
IMG_20191221_161426 — копия.jpg

Connection is probably bent/out of round any sanding it would probably leak.
no. This old connection on my car did not leak. I see one solution. This is a replacement of the connector from the old slave cylinder to a new one

Omg how nice with the sunroof even better don't get me stared on the sandlewood they changed it after 1991 to a similar color I like the 91 paint code best with original lower color. It's lighter....anyways have u used alot of force it is a pressure fitting... Measure inside of female outside of male... Should fit like u said they are friends I only use oem parts for connections like those.

Yea those fingers on the female won't click the male looking at it impossible. They look to be different shaping like u said.

And our rims are like different... Not as nice

ford-explorer-wheels-3008-b.jpg

And the hubs for 4x4 stick out like 6 in no joke

How many miles? And a manual with the strait center steering wheel it's like a holy grail first gen here.

It's funny, I own 4 green first gens, and not by choice of color.. All I remember seeing around was green when I was a kid, almost like they made no other color. We used to joke about it. My first one is dark blue 2 door and I've only seen one other that color. Second gens were even more common in green around here.(greater cincinnati area).

Make sure the tabs in the internal lock collar aren't damaged. This could be keeping it from connecting. I've had lots of these apart over several model years and never seen a different design. My manual converted Areostar has the same slave cylinder you installed with the gold connector, the trans is from an 01 sport track, master is out of an Explorer with the tube being van specific. Clutch kit/flywheel is all Explorer as well. In the conversion, It went right together. The connections should all be the same in Explorers, rangers, Areostar and Mazdas with the M5OD-R1 trans from about 88-to 2001 or so.

I would probably order a master/tube kit pre bled if you can, from Rock Auto. That way the whole system is new.

The truck looks good, it's nice to see people fixing up these old explorers. I can't wait to get back on my various projects and make some similar progress.

You really should change the master cylinder the line and the slave cylinder ALL at the same time, otherwise you will run into these issues. They have made these parts proprietary where sometimes only a LUK line will plug into a LUK slave
replacing just the slave cylinder without a new master cylinder is not a good idea

Now with that said your two fittings look to be the same and I would fully expect that line to plug into that slave
If it does not then I would get out the micrometer to find out why

What brand is the new slave cylinder?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just did some checking. 1991-1992 use a different slave cylinder than the 1993-2000. I believe you have a slave for a 1993+.
You're definitely right. What is "bore size s / c. Is this the hole for the line connector?"
Opera Снимок_2020-11-29_091619_fte.autocaredata.com.png
Opera Снимок_2020-11-29_091713_fte.mycarparts.net.png

What brand is the new slave cylinder?
No name. This is ordered from a Chinese site. Rockauto is too expensive for us. Delivery is more expensive than a spare part. But I see Chinese spare parts on ebay in the USA too.

Back