Quick Serious Help High End Audio: back to Factory.. until HU is repaired | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Quick Serious Help High End Audio: back to Factory.. until HU is repaired

ronsdeal

Reaction score
City, State
Taylor, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
:usa:Ok, heres the deal.
98 ex xlt. Replaced factory system , and head unit took a dump.
Repair time 2 weeks.
Temp reinstalling factory setup.
Had run new speaker cables to my power amps, so...

Wired original head, planning to take speaker sends that would have gone to factory amp, and plug them into an adapter that takes speaker outputs to line level inputs. [only for 2 weeks]

Have wiring diagrams; C256, C331, and C332.
So, not having hooked up the the speaker outputs, I do have C256 and the main power connector, forgot the number, but anyway, after turning the unit on, no power to the factory head unit.
Does it have to do with the "protocal's?]

Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:usa:Thanks Scucci,
Yep, missed a wire. Tonight I tapped off the line outs to patch the 4 sends to one of my amps.
BTW, the schematic you sent, [TY], was for 99- ?, and this truck is a 98.
Sorry for the confusion.
I still have my 2000 Ex Sport, w/factory radio, etc. That was totaled when I was run off a back road. :roll:Once I am done pullinig what I need from it, I will scrap it out.
Do you think I should offer to sell any parts from that vehicle on the forum here?
Again Thanks Scucci. I will keep the forum posted as this comes back together

98-2001 are the same schematic.
It would not hurt to offer parts to the forum members, you could make some extra cash and help a fellow explorer forum member.

Thanks for the reply
My 98 unit has 2 connectors, one for the power, 8 pin, and one for the audio sends, 16 pin.
My totaled 2000, [which didn't have any extra amp], has a 12 pin and a 20 pin I think???]
So, there is a diff between either the year, or the sound system.

Hey, thanks!!: :), you be a great guy. and a sharp dude.

I have an extra harness for a 97 that I made a thread about a while back to see if anyone needed it cheap - and the thread was deleted lol.. So I'm not sure if you're allowed to openly advertise parts, although if someone were to PM for a private sale, that would work if they trusted you.. You could always hit ebay with the deck, people are always looking for that kinda stuff on there..

The 2 connectors are different. 1 is for the decks power/speakers and 1 is for your rear console control. Which 1 tho I forget...

I'm not to familiar with Mach Audio but Ive heard some Exs come with it. Mine didnt .

:usa:Thanks 617Ricky,
The harness I wouyldn't need. I've been a buyer/seller on ebay for years. I think about 200 stars, all 100%.
I will consider ebay, but with all of the wealth of info I have recieved from the forum, if able, I'd offer it here first.
Thanks for the insight.

:usa:Thanks Scucci;
Would I have to but an "elite" membership to "rightfully" post parting out my 2000 Ex Sport?
Never having looked into the cost, I probably wouldn't do that. Well maybe as a last resort.
Thanks always for your help and insight.

:usa:
Hey KC90
I agree that the connectors are differnt. In the 98 I have, one is for the power etc, and the other is the 8 plug line outs for the amp which powers the speakers. To my understanding, this is not a MACH audio.

In the 2000 Ex Sport, [which I am parting out], the head unit has 2 connetors, one is a 16 pin, and one is a 20 pin.
Thanks to Scucci for the schematic.
This one has the wiring for the external CD changer.
I have a CD changer but never had it hooked up.

I think that this ALSO, isn't a MACH audio system.

Both vehicles have the "Long Counsel"
From my little knowledge, the long counsels has the radio etc in the rear of the counsel [back seat area], as it has dual functions from the front audio system.

Ah makes sense now. I have the 16 pin power but I dont have CD changer, Steering wheel, or anything except the rear console control in my XLT. The whole connector is useless to me anyway. Out of the 16 pin Im only using the power, ground, and illumination.

Thanks again, Scucci
I haven't yet opened upn the 2 links you sent.
What I do know is that neither the 2000 Sport or the 98 xlt had a subwoof.
The 98 had/has a 4 channel amp which mackes the HU.
The 2000, which I also gutted to do the install, had neither the amp OR a sub woofer.
The 98 didn't come with a sub woofer either.

I really love this site.

:usa:Scucci & KC90;
"Tanks" to the both of you.
As for the 3 links: the 3 link, radios, my 98 has; the 6th one down.
Factory number; F87F-18C815-CA AM.FM.CD. P100 Plugs with Clock green display, new

:usa:
Thanks Scucci,
My 98 was manufactured 5/98.
The last schematic is accurrate.
Thanks

Back