• Register Today It's free!

Quick tie rod question

Alex8706

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer Sport
Probably a newbie question but with all four tires on the ground i can grab onto my tie rods from the front end and kinda twist them up and down a good amount. Not to sure if this is normal or extremely bad and i cant find any information on that kind of play with a 92 explorer. Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like the end links are pretty worn.

Sounds like the end links are pretty worn.

Where and what are the end links if you dont mind me asking? I dont know a lot about the steering components.

Get the tie rods replaced. The difference in steering will be great. Far less slop.

I think my tie rods are bad as well, lots of slack in the steering. Gonna diagnose it this weekend when I get a friend to turn the wheel for me while I inspect the linkages below.

That said, when replacing tie rods, which are most often replaced? The inner or outer? Or the whole set at once? Didnt realize the parts would cost so much

I went ahead and replaced my inner tie rods and then got a alignment done. Much tighter sterring. Like driving a different car basically. I had a lot of difficulty getting the tie rods out none of the tricks I was looking up worked had to go rent a puller to get them off.

ExploreHudson, Someone correct me if I am wrong but I don't believe I have inner tie rods. I think it's just the outter rods going up to the pitman arm and the steering gear box. So I am not sure if you do or not either. I ended up buy some moogs which were about 40 each, but I know they will last. They had some master craft for about 20 each but I've heard nothing good about that brand.

When I got my alignment done the guy said he wasn't able to get a perfect alignment because my coil springs were pretty worn and sagging. Does anyone know how difficult a diy job it would be to replace them? Or what issues I might have if I don't? Looks like the springs are about 100 per and am just curious how big of a deal it is to get them replaced.

Back