Smokey the clutch is; Missed shift you did
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 EB, '93 Limited
I just recently had an issue with my engine overheating on the road. I had forgotten to fill the coolant (My rad has a slow leak) and my engine temp was rising...FAST!! Here is a little trick I use to keep going without overheating the engine, but not necessarily you :D

Alright, let me put a situation to you.

You are on your way to an appointment at 5pm, but you left the house late and it take 30 minutes to get there. Its 4:45 and your GPS says you are almost halfway to your appointment. All of a sudden your engine temp starts to climb. Well, you turn off your A/C and that slows the climb a bit, but on the highway cruising at 55 nothing is stopping the movement of that needle toward H. What do you do?

Little Trick:
Shove your temp control all the way over to HOT, turn your blower on high and set the selector switch to PANEL. Face all the vents away from you and keep your windows down!! If the needle keeps climbing, don't freak out, give it about a minute, it should hold and then start to drop slowly. You can now make your appointment...AND THEN PROMPTLY FILL THE RADIATOR.

Why this works: The heater core uses coolant as its heating element. The blower, when the temp selector is set to HOT opening the door into the heater core chamber, cycles the air through the chamber and out through your vents, decreasing the temperature of the coolant and in turn your engine.

You have now turned your heater core into a small (temporary) radiator!!

By no means is this a trick you should use all the time. Its for emergency situations ONLY. If you are low on coolant or there is a blockage in the radiator this will only prolong the inevitable, so fill the coolant or fix the problem immediately. Also, sitting in a hot car with hot air blowing in your face is not something I would want to have prolonged exposure to.

Anyway, I thought this might be helpful to somebody in such a situation.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ive always known that, and it DOES work, I had to drive my 95 home, VERY low on coolant, 50 mile trip, 80 degrees outside, engine wasnt running HOT but needle was a little higher than I liked it to be, so I cranked full heat, opened the windows, and she dropped down right where I like it :p:

I probably couldnt have typed it better myself though :D good job

We have used this on a ranger. It was about 95 outside and were riding with the windows down and the heat cranked.

Yeah, during my overheating days I had to do it one day a long way. Had to get to a UPS about 25 miles away, and had to get there BEFORE work. Left early but started overheating because it was like 98* out. Had the air cranked on HOT, HI and vents pointing away. Had windows down and moon roof open.

I didn't overheat.....the truck! Ran on A flirting with L. But I was dripping when I got to work. They sent me home (I work in an office) to change, I was dripping badly. But I wasn't walkin, and the heads weren't crackin, so all in all it worked out ok.

I've used it a couple other times to bring it down. Works like a charm.

BUILT FORD TOUGH is no joke. I drove my 96,300 1/2 ton 30 miles with no serp and it stayed right on the "R" on the temp gauge. 260,000miles on that truck.

Back