quick trans fluid question

boggs1227

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Flowery Branch , Georgia, 1994 sport 2wd auto
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 colorado 2wd 5spd
hey ,i took my x in to a local shop to have a check up and it appears that they may have put in to much fluid ...it's way above the crosshatch area.

is this going to hurt it by haveing too much in there ????

also ...i got a fluid pump that is used to remove stuff like oil etc... ,can i use this ( it's got a small enough tube) to pump out the trans fluid with out haveing to drop the pan ???

i mean that when i stick the pickup tube into the transmission i wont be putting a hole in my filter or anything else for that matter ????????

thanks for any advise:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks man ....i checked it about a hour ago cold from over night and it's wayyyyyyyy over the cross hatch area ,can't figure out why they did that ,but good to know i wont be hurting my filter or anything else

no mine is a cheap 20 dollar type fluid pump looks like a tube with a in and out port and with a punger type handle at the top and is orange in color ,got it advance or autozone

I think the more important question is: will it hurt to have the fluid level above the cross hatched area when at operating temp?

When mine was filled, the techs did the same thing - filled above the hatched area.

well the syphone i bought is not working like it should so now i'm useing a syrnge ( large one 2 oz size) i managed to get half a quart out ( slow going ) but ithink they put in a extra quart on me :rolleyes: by the way it's going down on the dip stick level.

ok i got 1 full quart out and it's right at the end of the crosshatch area.

still need more out or this level ok ????

What hole were you pulling the fluid out of?
I just accidentally put too much fluid in.
Where's the fill hole located on these ****boxes?LOL

Are you checking it when the vehicle is running? Your supposed to.

~Mark

What hole were you pulling the fluid out of?
I just accidentally put too much fluid in.
Where's the fill hole located on these ****boxes?LOL

:wtf: :confused: ? i did not understand any of that...... no offence. . . . .

:wtf: :confused: ? i did not understand any of that...... no offence. . . . .

You used a syphon/syringe to pull fluid out of the trans.
Where was the whole on the trans that you were able to pull fluid from?

Yes, I checked the fluid when the ex was running and warmed up.

What's the best method of pulling 1 QT from the trans?

If I pull a cooler line, which one would be the correct one? The one on the top or bottom of the trans? Which one pumps the trans fluid OUT of the trans, I would assume that would be the easier of the 2.

...i just used a 60ml or 2oz syrnge and a skinny piece of plastic tubing ( sorry i don't know the diameter but it has to be small enough to pass down the dip stick tube down past the inside of the pan ...it will take a couple of times till you feel it hit the bottom of the pan .once there i pulled up the fluid slowlly ( the tubeing and synge won't let you pull the fluid up very quicklly..whole thing took about 30 minutes i bet lol been a while since this thread was done ) .

to remove fluid with this method is a lot slower but almost no mess if any ...plus it beats "dodge the remaining fluid" in the pan when your under the truck undoing the last of the transmission pan bolts .

thanks man ....i checked it about a hour ago cold from over night and it's wayyyyyyyy over the cross hatch area ,can't figure out why they did that ,but good to know i wont be hurting my filter or anything else

Most automatics are supposed to be checked hot after running it through all gears to fill the clutches and brakes. Some even require that you check it with it IN GEAR.

What happens if it's overfilled is that the trans can overheat. The level of the fluid is now in the working mechanism of the trans (planetaries, clutches etc.) which are all rotating at high speed. This whips the fluid and aerates it. The air bubbles in the fluid will not disapate heat as well as fluid without air bubbles. In hot summers this is more of a problem or if you haul heavy loads or tow.

I actually just did the same thing as Boggs. Forgot to come back and check the site.
I used my Siphon Gun and attached a 3/8" i.d. hose to the end of the gun.
I cut the hose about 2" longer than the trans dip stick. The hose didn't quite go all the way down, but it did the trick.
It honestly took less than 5 minutes.

It took me longer to clean out the siphon gun than it took to pull the trans fluid.

i work at a shop and the fastest way to remove the fluid is to find the tranny fluid lines and either take it off at the tranny or up near the radiator. and drain some out and fill it to what you would consider full. But if it is at the full mark than you should be fine..

Mine is about 3/4" above the full mark when warmed up. Should I bother taking some out?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back