• Register Today It's free!

Quickie Transmission fluid change

rumpledoll

Reaction score
City, State
New Jesey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer V6 4WD
2002 Eddie Bauer Explorer 61,000 miles 4WD (auto, hi, lo). The transmission fluid had never been change so I did a partial change today. I needed a new drain plug as the old one was rusted solid in the center fill plug. I got 5 quarts ous through the drain plug by draining it until nothing coming out, starting it up for a bit and draining again the next day.

I put in Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF which says "Mercon V" on the front. I had the battery disconnected so the ECU would reset the shift points if needed based on the partial load of new fluid. Everything works fine fine so far.

Next year I'll drop the pan and replace the filter. The old factory fluid was a medium brown colour but it did not smell burnt or bad in the least.

So far I've replaced several fluids: the front diff with Valvoline75W90 synthetic gear oil (old stuff that came out was nasty), transfer case with Mobil 1 synthetic ATF (old stuff was almost black), rear case with Lucas 75W140 Synthetic gear oil with friction modifier already in (my Ex has the limited slip D4 rear) and now the transmission. The coolant was done as well.

All that is left is brake fluid and possibly power steering. I may just leave the brakes for when I need new pads. I have 1 1/4 quarts of the Mobil 1 ATF left, I may just siphon out some power steering fluid and use up that Mobil 1.

Rumple

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't forget there is an external tranny filter as well. It's right by the frame on the passenger side near the rad.

I didn't see one, but I wasn't really looking for one. A *stock* '02 has an external transmisison filter?

Rumple

Don't forget there is an external tranny filter as well. It's right by the frame on the passenger side near the rad.

would be nice

?? Please do tell ??

Well seeing as you all want to know, here it is. My early 02 XLT with 4.0L SOHC has a stock Ford external transmission filter. I replaced it about two weeks ago. The part number on it is XC3Z-7B115-BA. It still has the internal filter also.

This pic is from under the hood showing it right beside the right frame rail. It's the thing that says "FLOW'' on it.
Top_tranny_filter_800x600.jpg

This pic is from under the truck. You can see the rad drain in the bottom right corner of the pic
Bottom_tranny_filter_1_800x600.jpg

This pic is also from under the truck. The blurry thing on the right is the power steering fluid cooler.
Bottom_tranny_filter2_800x600.jpg

Good to know!

So if there are 3rd gen Exs with this set up, and the owners don't know, the neglect could really cause problems. Great shots! :thumbsup:

Al,

In the third pic you can see part of the Ford symbol on the sticker. When I went to the stealership to get the filters for my 02, I told him it had the external filter also, and he knew exactly what I was talking about. It may not be stock on the 02's because I just bought my 02, but it is for sure a Ford filter.

This is very interesting. It appears that some Ex's have an external filter - perhaps the towing package or other option had to be selected to get it? All look for it today.

Rumple

Mine does not have the tow package (just to add to the mass confusion)

Well, raise my rent, it is the external filter.:eek:

My 2002 Limited V8 AWD with towing package has no such filter. :(

However, I am totally interested in all there is to know about it. :cool:

Who has it, what package does it come with, where are the maintenance recommendations, what will installing one of these mean to my Ex?

I am totally weirded out to discover these. For all the experience on this forum, it appears that we have a new piece of info. :thumbsup:

Glad you spoke up!

But now that you have, please tell us everything that there is to know about it. :thumbsup:

Could it have been added during a rebuild? I thought i read some recommendation that an external filter be added after a rebuild to catch any remaining junk in the lines. . .
Is it on the inlet line or outlet line?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could it have been added during a rebuild? I thought i read some recommendation that an external filter be added after a rebuild to catch any remaining junk in the lines. . .
Is it on the inlet line or outlet line?

Those are two good questions.

I do not have this filter either. Mine is an '02 4.6L 4WD XLT Sport Pkg with the Class III/IV Trailer Tow Pkg.

The filter looks like a good addition to me too. Especially if there is metallic crud found in your old tranny fluid during routine services. Nice post ddog.:thumbsup:

Back