Quickie Transmission fluid change | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Quickie Transmission fluid change

Those are two good questions.

I do not have this filter either. Mine is an '02 4.6L 4WD XLT Sport Pkg with the Class III/IV Trailer Tow Pkg.

The filter looks like a good addition to me too. Especially if there is metallic crud found in your old tranny fluid during routine services. Nice post ddog.:thumbsup:

My 02 has a remanufactured tranny in it so it could have been added when my tranny was replaced. The only thing is, I don't know where my tranny was put in at or who remanufactured it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is NOT a factory installed filter. that is an add-in filter done somewhere down the line.

You can buy them outside of Ford, also, at most auto stores.

It's very clearly an add on part.

I've used them before.
I also sell them.

Besides, no way in heck Ford would have installed anything in a transmission cooler line using worm gear hose clamps ;)

It's very clearly an add on part.

I've used them before.
I also sell them.

Besides, no way in heck Ford would have installed anything in a transmission cooler line using worm gear hose clamps ;)

Where do you sell them from? Ford? cause that's where I got mine.

As for the gear clamps, it's quite possible that whom ever changed it prior to me replaced the spring type clamps normally used by Ford, with gear clamps. I replace the spring clamps if they are in a tough spot to work with:)

We are looking for an answer from someone else who has a Ford one installed on their Explorer or someone who works at Ford that might be able to give us more insight on this part.

Not going to argue with you.

I know for a 100% FACT that is not nor has it ever been an OE installed part and has been installed after the fact.

BTW, if you google image "inline transmission filter" you'll come up with the same part from many different manufacturers that all look exactly the same, and not coincidentally, the same as the aforementioned "Ford" filter.

edit again:

even on this same forum!! LOL

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34136&page=20

i dont have that external filter, BUT i do have a small trans fluid cooler, its upfront under the radiator.

The dealership puts those in when they replace a failed tranny. It is suppose to trap any containments from the failed unit. I heard they are similar or even the same as Magnefine filter, but with ford part number.

Back