Quiet Exhaust under $270 and test pipe available | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Quiet Exhaust under $270 and test pipe available

SKYWLKR

Reaction score
City, State
Baton Rouge LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT 5.0
looking for a good cat back (not flomaster they suck to much power)

but want something not excesivly loud.

and is there a kit to get rid of the rear 2 cats? or maybe resonator to go there?

found gibson,doug hurly, what ever cat back EE has for $230 any others?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The cats don't rob any power unless they're clogged. You'll want to put in 2 parallel high-flows and take out your 4, but that will be a few bucks.

I recommend a custom Magnaflow exhaust, maybe with a resonator after the muffler.

Bwhahaha...

thats funny and your smoking what?

I gained 8 RWHP on a stock 99 GT going from a cated Hi flo-x-pipe to a non cated of the same brand and style.

I have gained 45 on my supercharged car. by replacing the cats with straight throught dyno max race magnums.

I gained 1 mph putting a test pipe on a miata.

where is your data from?

the magna flow sounds nice I have a MF cat back on two cars.

I dont really like "custom Exhaust work" most comes out hacked and not madrel bent

I gained 8 RWHP on a stock 99 GT going from a cated Hi flo-x-pipe to a non cated of the same brand and style
2 totally different vehicles to...

huh ?

how does a 5.0 in a car diff from a 5.0 in a truck?

much less how does exhaust flow diff in a truck vs a car or a modular motor vs a pushrod?

cat are restrictive,has done been proven and just a fact of Hi performance automobiles.

i guess I can tell you about my 89 before the blower and then MY GF's car that is mostly stock

but the same thing more power...

You asked my opinion and I gave it. From all the data I've seen and what I've experienced with Explorers, the factory cats flow well until they're about 35-40% clogged.

BTW, 5.0s from Mustangs and other cars and the Explorer are different: cams, heads, intakes, accessory systems.....

alec, correct me if i'm wrong but on a boosted motor backpressure is your enemy. Although, on a motor which is N/A Backpressure is your friend. from experience i ran my n/a explorer for about a month w/no exhaust from the cat back and it was horrible, i ran straight pipe from cat back and it runs sooo much better and it sounds really nice.

Since we are on opinions.....

SKYWLKR yer a rude little *******....

Learn some respect especially of people have made possible what you take for granted today....

Alec is an awesome guy and he has done a lot for these boards in helping out....

There is always a nice way to say things....so until you learn that I think you should shut up and watch how non-anitsocial people converse and interact.....

Learn some manners.....that is "If you know the difference" and aren't "smoking crack"

One more opinon....
If you think your so goddamn smart, why did you ask?

[edit]I'm not going to sensor that... but you have to admit, you asked... he gave an opinion, and you attacked him. Be open and civilized. Honestly, I think you should get a magnaflow with resonator.... 2.5" piping, keep the cats, and run a dual in muffler with an x pipe. If it's not a N/A motor, dont run the X pipe.... run two mufflers. And as far as custom work.... dont take it to a muffler chain, take it to a mom and pop shop and tell them you want it done right. It will cost you about as much as a catback system.... but it will be custom. [/edit]

wilson, yes in general, though there are many variables.

Everyone else, thanks for the kind words, but let's not turn this guy off from this board so quick.

you are to forgiving i only wish i could be as calm and cool headed as you....I personally would have banned him off the bat for such rudeness on such a friendly forum.....

Originally posted by HotCtyPlaya
you are to forgiving i only wish i could be as calm and cool headed as you....I personally would have banned him off the bat for such rudeness on such a friendly forum.....

You also have to understand that most other forums tolerate a much more rude behavior than this one. That's why people come on here and start cussing from post number one. Simply because thats how every other forum is. Give them time to settle in and learn how we do things.

SKYWALKER - I have felt what losing backpressure can do in a 'close to stock' Explorer. I'd say that unless you are adding more air into the equation, I wouldn't try to remove any back pressure.

I added a Magnaflow cat back to my 5.0. I felt a substantial loss to the bottom end. I since added a K&N intake along with headers, and the factory 'get up and go' as yet to come back (it seems).

I have to agree about the removal of the rear cats. The response I have recieved from Explorer and Sport Trac owners is not favorable. A supercharged Mustang would be a whole different ballgame. No "data" involved, just straight feedback from Explorer owners that were hoping to gain more power. What they get is a flat bottom end and a much louder exhaust tone. Everything that can be done to gain power and throttle response has been done on this web site. Ford engineered these vehicles for balance, from the catlyst, computer to the MAF etc. The exhaust & intake are restrictive because they want these vehicles to be quiet. There are no "test pipe" or high flows cats available. You could go with a generic high flow cat from Random Tech or Car Sound. But it would have to be welded in and the gains would probably not worth th hassle. So you upgrade the exhaust & intake first. You want more performance and tone that is not too loud? Go with the Dynomax Cat-back system we have on our web site. It fits good with no welding, all the hangers are in the right places. There are other power upgrades that I could recommend, but I need to know the year and engine size etc. We know how to get power out of Explorers.

Originally posted by HotCtyPlaya
Since we are on opinions.....

SKYWLKR yer a rude little *******....

Learn some respect especially of people have made possible what you take for granted today....

Alec is an awesome guy and he has done a lot for these boards in helping out....

There is always a nice way to say things....so until you learn that I think you should shut up and watch how non-anitsocial people converse and interact.....

Learn some manners.....that is "If you know the difference" and aren't "smoking crack"

:eek: Perfectly said, I could not have said it better, in a more nicer way. He was just plain being a jerk! I think you scared him off, because you told him how it was. Well im out peace.:D

Naw, not scared off.

Back pressure is not what your after, its exhaust velocity.power is from air flow weither more RPM,more CI, or FI doesnt mater, more flow = more power.

205 hp in a exp is the same as 205 in a mustang or 205 in a 6cyl hi rev 4 v moter or a 4 cyl turbo.but the 205 hp in the 4cyl or 6cyl will be faster cause the power is higher up in the RPM range.allowing you to use the gears multiplication.

I asked if there was a quiet exhaust that flowed well and if test pipes were available.

did not mean to seem rude(but their is no reason for name calling it just show your imaturaty), it was more of a light jibe... but I have been modifying vehicles for a long time and am normally very fast in what ever it is.

and back pressure is not what i want, I'm not 4x4 ing

I have no need for lower RPM power, I take the power at higher RPMS.RPM is the secret for fast.

the heads and intake are very good factory peice for what I want but the cam leaves much to be desired ,as well as the tuning. which will both be taken care of.

Bring maturity into the issue if you must but this isn't some all 18 year old board where we are trying to prove who can act older....the solid fact is that you acted like a jerk towards a respectable person that was trying to help you out.

Add maturity to the equation after you read that and then decide which direction that finger should be pointing. Shame on you and I am sure your parents would be very upset after the fine manners that they TRIED to give you.

IF ANYONE HAS SOMETHING CONSTRUCTIVE TOWARDS THE ORIGINAL QUESTION THEN POST.

OTHER ISSUES NEED NOT BE DISCUSSED IN THIS THREAD.

Originally posted by SKYWLKR
the heads and intake are very good factory peice for what I want but the cam leaves much to be desired ,as well as the tuning. which will both be taken care of.

Tru dat! You could build a sweet five oh with the Explorer motor as a base. I have an e cam and 1.6 rockers ready to go in. Just waiting on some springs. I can't wait (which is why I talk about it so much).

What mods are you planning, SKYWLKR, to liven up your Explorer?

205 HP in a truck is different thean 205 HP in a car, because you are forgetting about what really counts, Torque.

500 HP will get you no where if you only have 150 ft lbs of torque....

now back to the real question.

Stock Ford cats flow well, usually there is no need to ditch them.

Also when you do ditch them or gut them it must be done properly, otherwise you are creating an expansion chamber which will slow down the exhaust gasses.

Also without cats the emissions people may or may not have a problem with your truck, depending on where you live.

There are a few cat back exhaust systems out there, in my experience Borla makes the finest stuff I have ever seen.

Custom exhaust work is only crappy if you use a crappy shop. There are places around that can mandrel bend pipes and do great work, money talks here.....

As for a bolt on kit to fit what you are looking for? I doubt it, afterall the Explorer aftermarket is weak......

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Stock HO or maybe a TFS stage 1 cam.

Full exhaust. 80 mm MAF and an auto logic chip with A9L+ specs.

4:30's, and a shift kit,

if that dont get me to 13's I will spray it.

Back