• Register Today It's free!

Quiet noisy lifters

rathrbcruisin

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer 5.0 AWD
Has anyone had any luck using a product like seafoam or another additive to stop noisy lifters? My 5.0 has lifter noise, sometimes when its warm, but sometimes it doesn't. I was thinking of trying something to help clean out the lifters.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've used seafoam before to clean engines. Works pretty well. Could also use some marvel mystery oil.

Regarding Seafoam: If you put it in your crank case, I would suggest about a 100 miles before you change your oil. It is an excellent cleaner, but I've read about people stating that sludge came out in their oil change. (I know, it was the internet) I've used it on many vehicles in the gas tank. It must increase octane, cause it peps 'em up a little.

Regarding Marvel Mystery Oil: Put it in with your next oil change per the directions on the bottle. People swear by this stuff.

My personal experience: I've used Seafoam in the tank and put it through my throttle body. The smoke is better than any burnout I did in my 67 Firebird.

Marvel Mystery Oil I use in my 16 yr. old Force 90hp marine motor two-stroke. I swear by the stuff, especially if the gas has ethanol. I've put it in my Exploder gas tank on a long trip (2000 miles and back). No noticeable difference in mileage or performance.

**There is absolutely no scientific data to support or not support my opinions, only my personal experience**

Yes oil should be changed very shortly after using seafoam. It can dislodge deposits and clog your oil filter pretty quick. It should be used for maybe 15 minutes at a high idle and then dump the oil. Fresh oil and filter, run a couple hundred miles and change it again.

Are you positive the noise is lifters?

From the driver's seat a bad EGR tube or cracked exhaust manifold can sound similar. These are both common issues on the 5.0.

Good Luck,

I thought i had a cracked manifold and took it into the exhaust shop he checked it all out and there was a bad egr tube which he replaced. I'm hearing this lifter noise now after all this was repaired. Pretty sure it's lifter noise. I'll put some seafoam in before my next oil change to see what happens. Thanks!

The exhaust manifold on 98's almost always will have a crack in it underneath the heat shielding. If the sound gets louder with more throttle it is an exhaust leak.

Removing the heat shields is the only way to be sure

attachment.php

Back