• Register Today It's free!

Quiet V8 Cat-back

smiley1

Reaction score
City, State
central coast, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT V8 AWD
I have a 98 V8 AWD. Some time ago I had an exhaust shop do a custom Magnaflow with a single 3" out. It was way too loud! So I had him put the stock muff back on but left the 3" out (no res). It achieved the sound I was looking for. Now that it is getting a little old, Im looking for the quietest setup you can find that will flow DECENT. I know. Sounds contradictory. I have done an extensive search and found the following to be fairly quiet:

50 series flowmaster SUV
Gibson
Borla

I dont want any drone and I dont need it to sound like a race car but like people to know it is a V8 without having to look at the badge. I am looking for decent performence with as close to stock noise level as possible. From what people are saying, Gibson sounds about right...

Anyone have some personal experiences for the 5.0's? On a side note, I will be getting an apten.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I recently installed the Flowmaster catback exhaust kit on my '00 5.0. I'm finally very happy with it. At first I thought it was too quiet, but after awhile I realized that I wouldn't want it any louder.

The exit pipe size has a lot to do with the droaning sound during steady-state crusing. 2.5" seems best to avoid this - the 3" is too big and will cause it.

-B

I've heard that the Gibson is quite, yet noticable when you get on the gas. I think thats what I'm going to get. I don't like the MAC system because of the 3 inch pipe coming strait out the back, looks ricey!

Don't laugh at me, but I swear some Explorer related site recommended Dynomax mufflers for the Ford Explorer. I had a friend who had one on his ride, it wasn't loud but had a nice subtle rumble to it. They claim to move as much air Flowmaster and they're cheaper. Sounded interesting to me.

Oversquare,

Was that a 50 series Flowmaster? Was it a custom job? What about muff part number?

Todd, I agree, the 3" is way too big. Sounds ok with the stock muff though. LOL.

The Flowmaster is a 50 series "Big Block", and everything is included in the kit. I bought it from Summit Racing.

Here is more info: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118026

I'll be posting a review in a few days.

Something to keep in mind, Flowmaster does NOT flow well. If you are looking for absolute HP, use a straight-through design such as Dynomax, Borla or Magnaflow. Although, Flowmaster does flow better than stock.

See my upcoming review for more information on this specific kit.

-B

Thanks for the info Oversquare. Is this system that much louder than the stock setup? Do you get any drone?

I rode in a Gibson equipped V6 Explorer....and it was really quiet.

The system is noticeably louder than stock under acceleration, especially between 1500 and 3500 RPMs. However, under steady state crusing an at idle it's hard to tell it's even there.

I tried to type a review last night, but i lost the web page. I'll try to post it again tonight.

-Brad

Now which is quieter: Flowmaster 50 suv or the Gibson?

Someone has to have heard the two. Anyone? Any guesses. I would just hate to spend the money and regret that I didnt get the other.

I just had a custom Dynomax Catback installed on my v6 X yesterday and fell in love with it. It achieved the perfect sound I wanted. It has a very low rumble to it and can barely be heard in the cabin (only noticalbe at wot). It was a Dynomax Super Turbo and was only $40 at my local AdvancedAuto... They also carried Dynomax Ultra Flow mufflers there, but price was like $80. Dynomax are rated to flow better than Flowmaster. They have lil' bar graphs on all their boxs. You might want to try this route. Just my two cents. l8r
-Cody

I have had teh Dynomax Ultraflow on my 5.0 99 Neer for about 18 months. It has a good sound until around 2000 RPM ( about 60mph in overdrive).... then comes the drone. I have had people tell me it is very loud at WOT. It did give quite a noticable increas in HP also decreased my gas milage (or was that my foot getting heavier in order to hear the rumble) Anyhow, for the money, not a bad set-up (except for the 2K drone). BTW I have 2 1/4" pipes from the cats to the muffler and a single 2 1/5" out to a 3" tip (no resonator).

96SportWheelin said:
I just had a custom Dynomax Catback installed on my v6 X yesterday and fell in love with it. It achieved the perfect sound I wanted. It has a very low rumble to it and can barely be heard in the cabin (only noticalbe at wot). It was a Dynomax Super Turbo and was only $40 at my local AdvancedAuto... They also carried Dynomax Ultra Flow mufflers there, but price was like $80. Dynomax are rated to flow better than Flowmaster. They have lil' bar graphs on all their boxs. You might want to try this route. Just my two cents. l8r
-Cody

Although the V8 sound will be totally different, I'm gonna check this out one of these days! I need to stop over at Advance and check this out. Might even be able to weld it in place myself :p Although I'd still like to save up for the Flowmast kit. I like the 3 inch tip coming down at a slant like it does. O my, so many things!!

I've got my 3" coming down at a slant from the side instead of straight out the back. I'll try and get some pics up tomarrow. My Advanced Auto carries the Ultra Flow muffler as well (this will be just as good as a flowmaster... heck, they outflow flowmasters). The Ultra Flow is Dynomax's top of the line muffler and can be had for $80 , but I've heard great things about the Super Turbo.. so thats what I got for $40... all aluminized, so it should last for awhile... I'll try to get some pics up tomarrow... l8r
-Cody

i have 0 resonance or droning with dual 2.5" piping and no tips.

however, mine is a bit loud with the dual in dual out 2.5' magnaflow muffler and my other mods.

i would recommend going with 2.5" duals or a 3" single for sure. a 2.5" single might not be annoying, but the performance seems to negate the whole thing in my mind.

Back