• Register Today It's free!

R&R EGR Vacuum Regulator ??

psoland

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
My check engine light comes on after about 5 to 20 minutes. I ran a quick test (KOEO) and come up with trouble code 558 - EGR Vacuum Regulator circuit failure. I'm lost. The Haynes manual does not even mention the vacuum regulator and/or EGR related components. Any of you gurus out there have any advice on what and how I should replace???

The EGR regulater is also called by other names 'vacuum solenoid' but 'pressure regulator' is what Ford calls it. It is NOT the EGR pump proper, (the UFO shaped disk with a 5'8" tube coming into the bottom and a 1/8" vacuum line into the top. The EGR P.R. is a 'plate' about 5x2" ith 2 vacuum tubes (1/4" coming out of the bottom into the Vacuum Tube(aforementioned 5/8" that runs from the exhaust manifold to the EGR pump. The PR also has an electrical plug in to it the powers the vacumm action.
It is in the Haynes under section 6 (no picture) but tells you how to check it. If your code indicated that was bad, go ahead and change it yourself (a $76 Ford-only part and about 5 minutes install), reset your computer (un plug Neg - post for about 15 minutes, then reconnect and go). If your lite comes back on then it is your pump (the 'UFO'), considering those are the only 2 pieces in the EGR process.

BTW, what year, miles, and what was the characteristics of the CEL (Check Engine Lite).
You said it comes on 5-20 min after start (thats when the EGR senses 'warm' and should start its action). But does it stay on, or is this the way it act after cold start ? and was there a noticeable difference in mpg and/or driveability?

Thnx, and good luck

kps36 - First I'll answer your questions.
My Explorer is a '95 with 82K miles.
The CEL comes on and stays on. If the car is turned off and restarted a few minutes later the CEL will be off but will come on again after several minutes. There is no difference in the performance or MPG of the car.
I just changed the thermostat, I either had a 180 degree or it was stuck open, the temp gauge was always read cold. Anyway, during the R&R of the thermostat I located the components you described, (very well I might add), right there under my nose.
I'll pick up a new regulator, the install looks simple enough, and clear the codes.
Thanks for all of your help.
Pete

Back