RABS and brake light coming on randomly after hard stop. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RABS and brake light coming on randomly after hard stop.

J08j06

Reaction score
City, State
Niles
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer XLT
After having to make a hard stop my RABS and brake light comes on at random and stays on until I shut the explorer off. When I start it again, the lights stay off untill I stop a couple of times. Is there a way to read the codes for the RABS system?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

when was the last time the system got flushed?

could still be air in the system and you may need to re-bleed it. sometimes it takes 3 or 4 attempts to get them to bleed right.

I go over testing and code retrieval in my video here:

I go over testing and code retrieval in my video here:

Well that video was helpful. Found my problem. Got a code 4. So now I gotta get myself a new abs valve. I should have replaced it when I did the lines.

Thanks for sharing your video, @natenkiki2004 , I'll use it to check code on my Ranger in the near future. I've been getting intermittent dash light while driving for months now, and didn't know what to do about it.
Mines a 93, any difference in the testing or codes if mine has abs2, and how could I tell for sure if it does have 2 or 1? I know how it is with my year being a change year...

And to the OP, sorry for the slight hijack!

Well that video was helpful. Found my problem. Got a code 4. So now I gotta get myself a new abs valve. I should have replaced it when I did the lines.
I'm glad you found it helpful. I'd try to find one from a junkyard and see if that helps things out. That or whack yours with a hammer/mallet to try and dislodge the valve and maybe it will be good?

Thanks for sharing your video, @natenkiki2004 , I'll use it to check code on my Ranger in the near future. I've been getting intermittent dash light while driving for months now, and didn't know what to do about it.
Mines a 93, any difference in the testing or codes if mine has abs2, and how could I tell for sure if it does have 2 or 1? I know how it is with my year being a change year...

And to the OP, sorry for the slight hijack!
If it's 4WABS, it's a whole other beast. The yellow dash light will tell you ABS or REAR ABS. If it's ABS (4WABS) then you have to do this:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...ll-trouble-codes-on-4wabs-very-simple.258803/

No, it's just rear abs, but in the video, you mentioned it could be rabs2, being a 93 Ranger. Or did I hear it wrong?

No, it's just rear abs, but in the video, you mentioned it could be rabs2, being a 93 Ranger. Or did I hear it wrong?
I think the reason I mentioned that was due to some mention in my manual about it. It should work the same, it's just 4WABS that went with a fancier computer (more speed sensors to calculate) and thus gets codes differently. Try the method in the video and if that fails, I'll dig in the books and see what I can come up with.

Back