• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Race to the Moon 2.0-Blue Origin breaks ground in Huntsville AL

allmyEXes

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
No. Alabama USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Blue Ex 4.0 SOHC
Callsign
KAGG 3611 (CB)
No doubt that many Americans have heard of Huntsville Alabama and the role that the town and the people played in the past sending the first men to the Moon. In 1958 Huntsville was a sleepy little cotton mill town of 20,000 and practically overnight burst wide open to a population of 100,000 plus and grew to 185,000 by 1970. The U.S.Goverment relocated Werner Von Braun and his team of rescued German Rocket Scientists in the late 1950's to Huntsville upon the creation of NASA and located then in a vacant Textile Production structure about a mile from downtown Huntsville. By the mid 1960's NASA relocated to property on Redstone Arsenal.
I was born in Huntsville on the same day that the first man orbited the earth. A Russian. The U.S.A. was behind in the space race however by 1969 the NASA people designed, built, made their way through the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo Space Programs and landed on the Moon during the year 1969. It was an exciting time to grow up in Huntsville. We went to school with Army brats and the children of NASA Employees and support personnel and even though my Dad didn't work for NASA, he worked on other Missile Defense related projects for the Army that he didn't ever talk about.
2019. It's a new time for Huntsville and the surrounding area. The Space race is heating up and Huntsville Metro area has a population pushing 450,000.
Wealthy Individuals are getting involved. Musk and Bezos to name a couple. Jeff Bezos' company Blue Origin broke ground today in Huntsville Alabama and will employ 300 people. The company will build the BE-4 engine, which will power the next generation of Vulcan rockets produced by United Launch Alliance in nearby Decatur. There is no doubt that this area will experience another boom.
No longer are the cotton mills anywhere near here, still thousands and thousands of acres of cotton are grown in this county and surrounding areas. A constant reminder of where we came from.
Blue Origin breaks ground on Huntsville facility
Like if you have ever been to Huntsville (The Rocket City) or Redstone Arsenal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
I have followed our space program since I was a kid. Just love all that stuff.

Char was lucky enough to go to Space Camp with her class of junior high kids.

allmyEXes

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
No. Alabama USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Blue Ex 4.0 SOHC
Callsign
KAGG 3611 (CB)
it's time to get back to the Moon. Just yesterday I was unable to find a target date.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
I'm landing on Mars in a few days. Anyone else on the flight? 🤣

Flounder

Owns 10,000 Marbles
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
'08 Sport Trac Adrenalin
I'm late to the party, but if you're ever in eastern central Florida, absolutely visit Cape Kennedy/KSC. The tours are phenomenal, particularly the buses that take you to the Mercury and Gemini remnants, and the pre-tour/presentation for the Saturn V. The recreated launch control center is breathtaking.

Also excellent is their lead in video to viewing Shuttle Atlantis.

I guess I'm old fashioned, but both made my eyes misty. Just incredible accomplishments as part of their larger programs. How the Atlantis film concludes with a transparent background that shows the actual Shuttle, which then opens, is phenomenal.

We also managed to catch one of SpaceX's night launches from Port Canaveral. Just an all around great time there.

Oh, and do yourself a favor and watch three documentaries -- When We Left Earth, Shadow of the Moon, and Moon Machines. All excellent summaries of the space program's birth, particularly When We Left Earth, which is a few DVDs long.