Racing an Explorer in the SCORE-BAJA 2000 Off-Road Race?!?! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Racing an Explorer in the SCORE-BAJA 2000 Off-Road Race?!?!

Reaction score
City, State
LEUCADIA,CALIFORNIA
Year, Model & Trim Level
`93 XLT
WHAT THE #$%^ IS HE TALKING ABOUT?????
Well, I am very active in Off-Road racing and I just would like to hear what you all have to say about this idea.
SCORE-INTERNATIONAL is a desert off-road racing promotor here in California.
There is a class, "stock mini"(for pros or sportsman) "we Explorers could team up" and run a modified Explorer in the Baja 2000.
2000 miles criss cross the Baja Penninsular from Ensenada to Cabo San Lucas.
The last race of the season is the Baja 1000 and this year it will be a Baja 2000 (for the year 2000.)
Donavee Jeep is now selling a race prept Grand Cherokee for this class and this is how I came up with the idea.

EDIT: The sole purpose of this post, is to find out if there is enough interest in this subject by the forum members, to take this idea to the next step; a discourse regarding a possible team of forum members racing an Explorer in the Baja 2000!!!!
...So all of you, please let me know if this would be of interest to you.
......"nuf said" "E"

------------------
93xlt,4.0,5Speed,2.5 lift,4.10gears, headers,catback,31M/T BFG,K&N..........

[

[This message has been edited by Ewald G Gruber (edited 03-27-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Ewald G Gruber (edited 03-27-2000).]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I saw an Explorer built for offraod racing do the Pike's Peak race once. I'd like to see an Explorer out there, maybe one with an Explorer4x4.com sticker in the window! Dead Link Removed

------------------
Tim Y.
1996 Explorer XLT
4.0L OHV 4x4

Are you trying to compete or just finish? Because if you want to just finish, then you don’t need to do too much to your truck. Cooling comes to mind, as does multi-shock suspension with huge travel. Side note: Don’t you need to have a roll cage? If so, I would love to see one in an Explorer. If you install one, take tons of photos of the process. Anyway, if you plan on being a serious competitor you should know, sense you’re an active off-road racer, that it takes an extremely modified vehicle to compete in off roading. All of the top guys (and gals) usually have trucks built from scratch. I too would love to compete in off road racing but, in Illinois, there isn’t much of that. So I’ll have to keep it to the black top for now.

------------------
Rock'n 97 Sport 4X4

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial ">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cameron:
Are you trying to compete or just finish? Because if you want to just finish, then you don’t need to do too much to your truck. Cooling comes to mind, as does multi-shock suspension with huge travel. Side note: Don’t you need to have a roll cage? If so, I would love to see one in an Explorer. If you install one, take tons of photos of the process. Anyway, if you plan on being a serious competitor you should know, sense you’re an active off-road racer, that it takes an extremely modified vehicle to compete in off roading. All of the top guys (and gals) usually have trucks built from scratch. I too would love to compete in off road racing but, in Illinois, there isn’t much of that. So I’ll have to keep it to the black top for now.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
thanks for your input Eric.
I did edit my posted subject to be more specific.
I have some info for you.
MAORA = MID AMERICA OFF-ROAD ASSOCIATION
Steph Sabo (618)327-9312
there is more if you like.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial ">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NoBoundaries:
I saw an Explorer built for offraod racing do the Pike's Peak race once. I'd like to see an Explorer out there, maybe one with an Explorer4x4.com sticker in the window! Dead Link Removed

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
thanks for your respons TIM,
please see my edit.

I don't have much experience in racing, just go-karts, but I'm getting a stock car this year and racing that this summer. I'd love to do the baja but I think the cost would be insane, even with sponsorship. Do you have an Explorer lined up?

------------------
93 XLT 4 door
Big, green, and slow

What about the '93/'98 that Perry Mcneils has posted. I would love to see that thing run for the checkers. If he would be willing I think his Explorer would make an awesome starting point for a serious contender. And just think he could proably do the whole trip with the A/C on!

Any thoughts on the roll cage? do you need it to run? If so how hard would it be to make one like on robbie gonzalez's '95?

------------------
Scott Bauer
'91 Eddie Bauer

I have some info for you.
MAORA = MID AMERICA OFF-ROAD ASSOCIATION
Steph Sabo (618)327-9312
there is more if you like.

[/B][/QUOTE]

the site is: http://www.illininet.net/~wolfman/

------------------
93 Sport 4X4, 150k Mi, Llumar Metallic Tinted Windows, GTS Taillight Covers, Sony CD and Boston Acoustics drivers
Bosch +4's. Modified Airbox, Allied 8.5mm wires (Splitfire wires on order)

I would love to do that with my explorer, but I don't think I would room for all the stickers from the amount of sponsors I would need to be able to afford it. Dead Link Removed

If someone else could afford it I would love to help with the race and the preparation.

------------------
If everybody is different, how can anyone be normal?

91 Explorer XLT
4.0L OHV V6

I've been toying around with what would be needed.
Explorer (obviously)
dual shocks- front rear
HD springs- " "
Poly bushing kit
Cross drilled/slotted rotors w/ carb met pads
Rear disk conversion if 94-
4? in lift kit
33-34 in off road tires (6) 2 spares
light weight rims (6)
Lockers
gearing of 5.XX or greater
HD drive shafts
Atlas II
9 Speed tranny
Rebuilt 4.0 with ported/polished heads, roller rockers/lifters, bigger cam, electric fan, larger TB+MAS, KKM, Jacobs ignition. headers, custom exhaust, AC removed.
Lots of off road lights
Gutted interior
Full roll cage
Racing seats
GPS
Safety equipment
Full tool kit with spare parts
food/water
As you can see, that's a lot of work, parts and money. Sure some of our Explorers may be able to compete, but it's another thing to be competitive. When I enter a race, I don't enter to ride around, I want to win. Speed costs money. If this idea is going to go anywhere we need sponsership. I put the total cost of a race ready truck at around $25-30,000. I do have some money I could personally sink in. So...who wants to sponsor me? Dead Link Removed

------------------
93 XLT 4 door
Big, green, and slow

Explorer (obviously)
dual shocks- front rear
HD springs- " "
Poly bushing kit
4? in lift kit
light weight rims (6)
Lockers
HD drive shafts
Atlas II
9 Speed tranny
Rebuilt 4.0 with ported/polished heads, roller rockers/lifters, bigger cam, electric fan, larger TB+MAS, KKM, Jacobs ignition. headers, custom exhaust, AC removed.
Lots of off road lights
Gutted interior
Full roll cage
Racing seats
GPS
Safety equipment
food/water
As you can see, that's a lot of work, parts and money. Sure some of our Explorers may be able to compete, but it's another thing to be competitive. When I enter a race, I don't enter to ride around, I want to win. Speed costs money. If this idea is going to go anywhere we need sponsership. I put the total cost of a race ready truck at around $25-30,000. I do have some money I could personally sink in. So...who wants to sponsor me? Dead Link Removed

------------------
93 XLT 4 door
Big, green, and slow

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 03-29-2000).]

for the Baja what are the requirements for the vehicle 2wd or 4wd? I'm looking to make my truck into a baja runner, but i'm working with the $$$$ flow. I'm gonna talk to FAbtech on some stuff for my truck. The double shock mount for the front and rear. I have a 2wd.

------------------
Brian
94 2wd
4" Fabtech Lift
265/75/16
Flowmaster 2 chamber 2.25"
KKM intake
Clears all the way around

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial ">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mrboyle:
What about the '93/'98 that Perry Mcneils has posted. I would love to see that thing run for the checkers. If he would be willing I think his Explorer would make an awesome starting point for a serious contender. And just think he could proably do the whole trip with the A/C on!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perry does make some cool stuff for Explorers.
.....The Explorer we are talking of, is close to stock as can be.
" STOCK MINI "(more on that later,first need to find out how to get info such as SCORE class rules or pictures on this site !!!!
thanks for the input "E"

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial ">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NoBoundaries:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

THERE WOULD BE PLENTY OF REFERENCE TO EXPLORER4X4.COM.
THANKS "E"

------------------

Here is the link for SCORE's website: www.score-international.com/

They have a link to a page where you can buy their rule book for $15.00.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial ">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EB Bauer:
Any thoughts on the roll cage? do you need it to run? If so how hard would it be to make one like on robbie gonzalez's '95?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes sir, roll cage is mandatory.
Sorry, have not seen robbie gonzalese`s `95.
SCORE`S required design is very functional and straight-forward, a good fab shop should have no problem building one.
I know of many good ones, here in CA and in AZ. Thanks "E"

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial ">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The Godfather:
Explorer (obviously)
dual shocks- front rear
HD springs- " "
Poly bushing kit
4? in lift kit
light weight rims (6)
Lockers
HD drive shafts
Atlas II
9 Speed tranny
Lots of off road lights
Gutted interior
Full roll cage
Racing seats
GPS
Safety equipment
food/water

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Looks like you did your home-work!
However some of the items you listed are more suited for rock-crawler applications.

..So you like to win races??....me too!!!
Don`t like to sound like a lecturing uncle, but to win an off-road race you need more then just the desire and a big lead foot.
....Every class is different, but the following applys to all.
It takes a lot of discipline to resist your lead foot so you don`t break the car or truck before you get to the finish line, need to have a well thought out plan and strategy.
..need to know what your vehicle can take -so not to break it, same goes for driver/ needs to be in good mental and physical shape....
need to be able to read the terrain ahead of you and how to take it with the right speed and don`t forget your pit crew- you depend on them to keep you going and be there for you when they are needed....
...nuf said
thanks for your input Goodfather
P.S. again, we are talking about a near stock class.
------------------

[This message has been edited by Ewald G Gruber (edited 03-31-2000).]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial ">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The Godfather:
Explorer (obviously)
dual shocks- front rear
HD springs- " "
Poly bushing kit
4? in lift kit
light weight rims (6)
Lockers
HD drive shafts
Atlas II
9 Speed tranny
Lots of off road lights
Gutted interior
Full roll cage
Racing seats
GPS
Safety equipment
food/water

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------

Back