• Register Today It's free!

Racing XSport Question?

TMack2300

Reaction score
City, State
Livonia, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
Im not a race car driver so basically im looking for suggestions on how i should drive/race my XSport without tearing it up.. :roll:
Paddle shifters are new to me also.. Just looking for some friendly advice. :D

Brake Torque? up to what RPM before launching? :burnout:
any particular mode? sand? mud? ect...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Shift points etc are covered in the Owner's Guide (page 210) when using the paddle shifters. I believe only Normal and Snow modes are designed for regular driving.

Peter

When you say racing what exactly are you considering?

Its not too difficult. Put it in Sand Mode or leave it in Normal mode. To brake boost, just hold the brakes and then push the gas down a little until the vehicle begins to push forward a bit but not move, then just drop the brake and mash the gas.

PS. The paddle shifters are really pointless when going in a straight line. You'll probably find that you are too late to pull the paddle and thus create a double shift. If you dont pull the paddle at the right time the vehicle will shift for you even in Manual mode. For example its going from 1rst to 2nd and you pull the shifter resulting in you going into 3rd and thus your race is over pretty much. Just leave it in Drive and mash the gas. Paddle shifters are really good for going up and down steep grades and some other circumstances. Racing I think its best to let the vehicle just do it for you in this vehicle.

First off, run 93 or the highest octane you can get at a regular station. Your truck will retune itself with more aggressive timing, more boost, etc based on what it senses in its tank... if you haven't been running 93, figure you will have to run through an entire tank before its adjusted. Yes 93 costs more, but if you care about performance it's the cheapest "mod" you can do and it really makes no sense do go further if you aren't taking full advantage of the ecoboosts built in, stock capability.

That said, you'll get your quickest times from a complete stop in sand mode after a break boost. RPMs on the boost? It's a fine line between what you are comfortable with and what makes your truck wheel hop on the 1 - 2 shift. Somewhere between 1000 and 2500 RPMs should put a big smile on your face. Experiment, starting low so you know what's right for you.... If your going up against someone with big power, remember our advantage is off the line traction.

How to boost? Stop your truck, switch to sand mode. Push the break firmly, and slowly creep up on the gas till your at the target RPM. Hold it there and when your ready to go, simultaniously floor it and let off the break...

Be sure to get out of sand mode as soon as you are done, as it was not meant to be driven around on as a standard drive mode and as others will quickly point out, extended use of it can harm your drivetrain.

Paddle shifters? Yeah they are cool, but in this case forget about them for for straight line, 1/4 mile racing.

Please follow my advise at your own risk... Use only as directed. Race only on closed courses. Blah blah blah standard moron disclaimer.

Most of all, have fun!

Ajar

That's BRAKE. :D As I've mentioned a few times before, that seems to be the most misspelled word in the Forum.

Peter

That's BRAKE. :D As I've mentioned a few times before, that seems to be the most misspelled word in the Forum.

Peter

Hahaha.... Thanks Peter... I promise I know how to spell brake, sadly the iPad autocorrect doesn't know context and keeps changing it on me.... :D

Technology these days.....! Bah!

street..

When you say racing what exactly are you considering?

just some friendly street racing.. no track... say im at a red light and i wanna smoke a chevy!

pretty much it

thank you

Its not too difficult. Put it in Sand Mode or leave it in Normal mode. To brake boost, just hold the brakes and then push the gas down a little until the vehicle begins to push forward a bit but not move, then just drop the brake and mash the gas.

PS. The paddle shifters are really pointless when going in a straight line. You'll probably find that you are too late to pull the paddle and thus create a double shift. If you dont pull the paddle at the right time the vehicle will shift for you even in Manual mode. For example its going from 1rst to 2nd and you pull the shifter resulting in you going into 3rd and thus your race is over pretty much. Just leave it in Drive and mash the gas. Paddle shifters are really good for going up and down steep grades and some other circumstances. Racing I think its best to let the vehicle just do it for you in this vehicle.

pretty much the answer i was looking for..
I have a 87 grand national so im very familiar with brake torqing to build boost for launch..
any deals on that tuner for me Boostking??!!

Thank You

First off, run 93 or the highest octane you can get at a regular station. Your truck will retune itself with more aggressive timing, more boost, etc based on what it senses in its tank... if you haven't been running 93, figure you will have to run through an entire tank before its adjusted. Yes 93 costs more, but if you care about performance it's the cheapest "mod" you can do and it really makes no sense do go further if you aren't taking full advantage of the ecoboosts built in, stock capability.

That said, you'll get your quickest times from a complete stop in sand mode after a break boost. RPMs on the boost? It's a fine line between what you are comfortable with and what makes your truck wheel hop on the 1 - 2 shift. Somewhere between 1000 and 2500 RPMs should put a big smile on your face. Experiment, starting low so you know what's right for you.... If your going up against someone with big power, remember our advantage is off the line traction.

How to boost? Stop your truck, switch to sand mode. Push the break firmly, and slowly creep up on the gas till your at the target RPM. Hold it there and when your ready to go, simultaniously floor it and let off the break...

Be sure to get out of sand mode as soon as you are done, as it was not meant to be driven around on as a standard drive mode and as others will quickly point out, extended use of it can harm your drivetrain.

Paddle shifters? Yeah they are cool, but in this case forget about them for for straight line, 1/4 mile racing.

Please follow my advise at your own risk... Use only as directed. Race only on closed courses. Blah blah blah standard moron disclaimer.

Most of all, have fun!

Ajar

thank you for taking the time to type that all out. i do apreciate it.
i really apreciate the info on the paddle ****ers. pretty much useless!!!!

Street racing illegal and irresponsible. Go to the track where you won't endanger others.

Peter

just some friendly street racing.. no track... say im at a red light and i wanna smoke a chevy!

pretty much it

Well as has been said in other post Street Racing is illegal and dangerous. Although you may be very experienced and believe your safe it is usually someone else that ends up in the mix.

Do yourself a favor and go to a track. You may find you like it.

Street racing illegal and irresponsible. Go to the track where you won't endanger others.

Peter

if you have nothing to say that answers the threads question can u please stop with your replies.. :feedback:
thank you, Richard :D

Well as has been said in other post Street Racing is illegal and dangerous. Although you may be very experienced and believe your safe it is usually someone else that ends up in the mix.

Do yourself a favor and go to a track. You may find you like it.

seriously????? :dead:

thanks but no thanks sir.

TMack2300, if you post messages, especially ones about illegal and dangerous activities, you can expect to receive replies whether they pertain to the actual thread topic or not. That is the way a forum works.

Peter

Ok friends, lets all play nice. :thumbsup:

I think maybe you two should agree to disagree on this matter and let it be that. We're all adults here; clearly some of us are bigger risk takers than others. There is no need to make someone feel unwelcome based on different personality types.

This is the modified forum and many of us do own Explorer Sports here which is considered a sport truck. It is made to go fast. Based on the replies to these last few threads regarding mods and racing, this is something we (the forum users) are interested in. Hopefully we are mostly talking about on a track.

I'm sure Tmack isn't lining up with his EX in the middle of the road with a girl holding up a scarf flagging the start and crowds down both sides of the road. Well I hope anyways... lol :D

Cheers,

Ajar

TMack2300, if you post messages, especially ones about illegal and dangerous activities, you can expect to receive replies whether they pertain to the actual thread topic or not. That is the way a forum works.

Peter

i never said anything about doing anything illegal here in Michigan, whats the matter with you Peter??
#StopItPleaseSir

Shift points etc are covered in the Owner's Guide (page 210) when using the paddle shifters. I believe only Normal and Snow modes are designed for regular driving.

Peter

like this Peter... seriously sir???

if i wanted to read the owners manual sir i would do that... I like audio books...!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back